Day 111. 130 pages, 56,667 words. Again, you’re welcome for that extra word.
Quick one today, since I’m between stories. The US had their mid-term elections last week, which a lot of people have been looking forward to since Trump was put into office in defiance of the actual number of citizens who voted for him, because the US’s democratic system is broken.
Ever since that stupid day two years ago, my understanding of USian (and by extension, world) politics has been this:
- Something may or may not happen in politics. It’s impossible to tell because media news (and especially social media news) appears to have crossed some threshold and can no longer be taken at face value.
- The liberal and progressive pundits go nuts about it, which to be fair is pretty understandable because it’s usually something atrocious like the US pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement, or the US government putting kids in cages, or talking about revoking birthright citizenship, or electing an obnoxious college jock (at best) onto the Supreme Court, or a fanatical supporter of the regime sending bombs to a bunch of media and public figures.
- John Oliver hits the WE GOT HIM button, The Young Turks say it’s terrible and must be costing the government critical support, a few other YouTuber and journalist sources talk about Mueller and organised crime and the constitution and unfitness for presidency and other stuff.
- Literally nothing happens. The atrocious thing is allowed to happen, nobody stops it, and Trump and his goons paint themselves as victims in an increasingly surreal series of press conferences where they just out-and-out lie and bully their way through “questions and answers”, and the whole concept of news media takes another massive credibility hit, and everybody lets them.
So that’s about it. The mid-term elections were meant to be a “blue wave” of liberal and progressive voters coming out and taking back power from the increasingly fascist right-wing government.
And before anyone tries to tell me this is unbalanced and the left is just as much to blame for the widening gulf and there is cause for concern in these radical progressives and “antifas”, don’t. Just fucking don’t. You’re wrong.
So, how did that all go?
I have no idea. Here’s one of the better summaries I could find, and it’s very much a “meh, this was fine, I guess, but more of you chuckleheads still need to goddamn vote” mixed bag.
Blue wave, it was not.
Let’s hope things turn around soon, because the longer this anti-immigrant bigotry and foreigner-phobic shit is allowed to fly in the US, the more emboldened the racist and the ignorant will become across the globe. And frankly I think those pieces of human garbage need to be put back in their dumpsters for a few years.
Trying to have a civilisation here, you thick-headed fucks.
– Posted from my Huawei mobile phone while picking up Toop from daycare.