GDPR

I have nothing really to say about this legislation, except that it seems like an excellent idea. All my service providers, from Gmail down to our local pizza place, has sent me an e-mail telling me about their updated terms and conditions. I’m not an EU citizen but I feel safer already.

The whole thing is going to create a bunch of work, I think, even in my line of work in the future. It’s going to make work for everyone, and that’s not bad. I’m still not entirely sure what it’s going to mean for content on the Hatstand and other public places. I think I’m okay on account of not being a company, but WordPress is so there’s that to consider.

But whatever comes, I suppose we’ll roll with it and hope that it improves privacy and quality of life.

GDPR is a new EU privacy regulation, for the benefit of anyone who might not have heard. It requires the written consent of EU citizens before their personal identifying information is shared or distributed by companies. Or something like that. I’m going to contribute to the Google spike on searches for “GDPR” today like all the other sheep. Just out of mild interest.

I don’t have much to say about it, except I’m glad regulations are happening and I’m always maliciously pleased when the EU forces some humane and sensible porridge down Europe’s throat. I’m just sorry Britain isn’t going to get to splutter indignantly on it for long. Or are they? Who knows?

But I still figured I’d post about it, just for the historical record and because I didn’t have anything else for today.

Posted from my Huawei mobile phone while on the bus, and with my full written consent.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to GDPR

1. stchucky says:

Just as well I got in the habit of using people’s nicknames, eh dreameling? Thepatriot? BRKN?

Not 100% sure, but our nicknames here probably qualify as personal data, since they can be combined with other data here to uniquely identify us. Then again, I’m guessing you’re neither a data controller nor a data processor, but a WordPress customer, so I’m pretty sure you’ve got nothing to worry about. Also, our nicknames are public data freely provided by us, so not sure if or how GDPR even applies.

You’d have to check with an expert, though, like Ms K. 🙂

I’m with you there. Some pundits have predicted that this will sink a lot of smaller businesses that lack the resources to meet GDPR compliance, and apparently some have even suggested that this is really a lobbied conspiracy by giants like Facebook and Google, but I find at least the latter a bit hard to believe. In any case, GDPR makes me feel safer and more in control. (And I dearly hope that that’s actually what it will do, at least within the EU and with companies that are based or have a presence in the EU. I’m sure a lot of companies outside the EU that service EU citizens won’t give two shits about GDPR.)

We’re also pretty nicely set at Frosmo at this point. Largely thanks to a wonderful Senior Documentation Specialist who’s interested in this stuff, who pretty much wrote all the necessary internal and public company documentation, and who’s been coordinating management and other stakeholders in much of the prep work. And no, I’m not talking about myself, but my awesome colleague, the irreplaceable and too-responsible-for-her-own-good Ms K [1].

[1] No idea what her nickname here should be.

Her nickname should always have been forestflux.

You’re right, this does sound like a lot of work to ensure proper compliance. But maybe the smaller the business, the less effort? I mean, our local pizza guys sent me an e-mail. I doubt they have hired a GDPR officer, although it’s hilarious to pretend they have.

I concur. About as far as I’m willing to take the “conspiracy” is that this has incurred (and will continue to incur) a huge amount of cost for the EU to subsidise and regulate. And they’re going to make that back by fucking non-complying companies right up the arse for twenty million euros a pop, which is apparently the standard fine. Which – well, isn’t making back the policing overhead what fines are all about? So not really a conspiracy.

Glad to hear Frosmo is all set though!

Apparently, GDPR is making things really difficult in universities (and, I would assume, in schools and other educational institutions as well).

For example, student papers and other student products that carry personal information, such as a student’s name, are now personal data. At the University of Helsinki, you’re no longer allowed to store anything older than 6 months (if memory serves). So you just need to destroy a lot of old material.

As another example, interview recordings, where you can identify people by their voice or by direct reference, are now also personal data. Meaning you need to retroactively re-seek consent from the original participants, assuming you can get a hold of them, or risk having to delete your interview data. And these recordings can be crucial to linguistic corpuses used for research.

Clearly, the GDPR makers weren’t thinking about educational institutions (and other non-business entities) when they were coming up with their rules.

See, this is how you get Zhraaki purges.

I give zero fucks, my public nickname here was set up with a blind email account and while technically it could be traced back to my dormant twitter account, again, zero fucks.

Also, i heard nothing about anyof this legislation until i got 14 billion emails. So im just annoyed

Yeah, like they were saying at work, this is a ton of effort for businesses (which is fine because more work for me), but it’s really good news for citizens.

Not you and me though, BRKN. Heh. Foreign devils.

LOL 14 billion, pic or it didn’t happen XD

This law sounds great, but in America I’d worry it was a trick of some kind with loopholes, bait-and-switch, or somesuch. Hope it’s real for you guys cuz I like it. One more reason to export the good ole Patriot family.