Day 76. 128,036 words.
I drafted this a while back, but it’s going to be a busy weekend so here you are.
Back during our flight home from our Australian adventure, I got some time to watch a few random movies. Here’s some brief reviews. On the flight from Perth to Hong Kong, I saw:
1) Kingsman 2: Oh Fuck We Got Asked For A Sequel. Featuring Eggy, the word “bruv”, and a horrifically bad explanation for Mister D’Arcy surviving the first movie (not to mention that anal-sex-reward-based relationship with Swedish royalty), this was mildly amusing but my airline chicken and sausage was better. And my airline chicken and sausage wasn’t great. Also starring Maude Lebowski and The Dude as themselves.
2) Deadpool. Because it was on the list so of course I watched it. Duh. I tried something new with movie #1 and I got burned.
3) Passengers. Starring Star Lord as Bill Murray and Jennifer Lawrence as Andie Macdowell, this futuristic Groundhog Day remake was fun to watch and very pretty, but who hires Laurence Fishburne to be part of a starship crew? That fucker’s CV is a mess at best. Also, Star Lord’s best bet was either to break down on the first day and admit that he woke Katniss up out of loneliness and then work through that issue over the course of the next year, or READ THE FUCKING PASSENGER MANIFEST AND START WAKING UP USEFUL PEOPLE I DON’T CARE IF THEY WEREN’T CREW.
I also watched some episodes of Family Guy. They were a travesty but at least I cracked a smile.
On the flight from Hong Kong to Helsinki, I saw:
1) Big Game. I’d been meaning to watch this for a while because the Rare Exports movie was pretty good (although their short movie was much better, and worth buying the DVD just for that). This was … meh. Not particularly interesting, although an amusing Finnish variant on Crocodile Dundee 2. If laughing at USians out of their element in foreign countries is wrong, I don’t want to be right. I mean, look at Full Metal Jacket. Anyway yeah, this was not a terrible movie, but I can’t recommend it. I can’t even say it was an accurate portrayal of Finnish woodsfolk.
2) The Martian. An amusing and entertaining movie, lots of fun to watch even if it was a bit dodgy on the believability (I think you have to forgive that once movies start putting people on other planets) and I was beginning to have serious trouble staying awake at this point. I think I actually drifted off, was woken up for breakfast, and skipped back to the last bit I remember to watch it through properly. So I can say it was worth doing that, so it can’t have been all bad. I was annoyed at the way they’d dubbed and smudged over the swearwords, too. The best line in the movie, about Matt Damon sciencing the shit out of his situation, was ruined.
3) The Simpsons Movie. Just, again, because I knew it was good and I hadn’t seen it in a while – and also because I wanted to nap. And I did.