Interlude: Hugos 2018: Once More Unto the Breach

Day 45. 97,293 words.

I was delighted to see that some of my contributions had made it into the final farewell newsletter from the Helsinki Worldcon people.

tbone

Here, for anyone who missed out on the newsletter, is my reminiscence-story. Well done dreameling on the excellent photo (as I believe I said before). And the link under my name, in case you were interested, was a kind shout-out to my Amazon page.

They also very nicely linked to the Hatstand’s posts about Worldcon, and they also had a page about the Hugo Awards. As luck would have it, as a ticket-holder for 2017’s Worldcon, I’m still eligible to nominate for 2018 even though I’m not going.

And I have a couple of books that were published in 2017, so what the Hell.

FB_IMG_1518554440508

If you were a Worldcon attendee, this is all you need to throw on your nomination ballot. Unless, you know, you feel there are other artists out there who deserve a fair shake. 2017 was admittedly a slow year for me.

As you can maybe see from that tiny screencap, I dropped Bad Cow, Human[1] and Deadshepherd in the Best Novel category, which means The Final Fall of Man gets one more shot at Best Series. I also dropped Gabriel Gajdoš into the best artist category for his covers as always. Also, if you’re looking for someone to nominate for Best Fan Writing, look no further than Mzzbee’s stuff.

[1] Technically I entered this to the ballot in 2017 as well, but a) it didn’t make the short list and b) it was published, officially, in January 2017 so it is eligible for the 2018 ballot. More than it was for the 2017 ballot, actually, since the publishing date on the first page doesn’t match with Amazon’s publication date.

Best of all, the Worldcon people have a wiki, and a google doc for Hugo suggestions. I added myself – here’s the Best Novel page, and here’s the Best Series page – which was a bit fiddly but hopefully worth it. Sadly I didn’t have time to add Gabriel and Mzzbee to their places but I will do it if I get a chance before March.

So check it out! And nominate me if you can be bothered. Or share the information around. Or just try to get through your Wednesday in one piece, basically. I can’t ask for more than that from my dear friends.

This entry was posted in Astro Tramp 400, Edpool, Office Posts, Random, Oræl Rides To War and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Interlude: Hugos 2018: Once More Unto the Breach

1. Auri Poso says:

I’ll nominate you as soon as the [redacted] San Jose org manages to send me my [redacted] link.
    p.s. I’m still disproportionately chuffed.

Sweet! I wasn’t sure if it was San Jose or Helsinki that were sending these out but obviously the Hugos torch has passed on to San Jose so you should be getting yours soon. I got mine from <Worldcon 76 Hugo Administrator (hugopin@worldcon76.org) on February 5th, so check your spam box too.

2. How do I sign up so that I can nominate? I went to those pages but didn’t even find your works there, yet.

You’d need at least a non-attending membership (don’t remember the name) for San Jose Worldcon, it’ll set you back forty bucks or so. It may actually be too late for you to join. Don’t know.

And what, you couldn’t see my books on the wiki? I’ll have to check it out.

• “Supporting membership, that’s the one. Not super worth it, at €40 (about the same in US$ I think).”

I’ll still take it under advisement.

It’s cool, I think it’s basically too late for the 2018 Hugos and San Jose membership anyway. It was sometime in March, the deadline. Might have a few days left but it doesn’t really matter.

Prices for Dublin 2019 are set to go up from €160 to €180 for adults soon (that’s full attending, not just supporting), but there’s also a family offer coming soon so I’ll let you know about that.

• Thanks, I appreciate you keeping me informed on this. It’s still hypothetical enough for me that it’s not hitting my radar yet.

I understand! It’s part of a rare long-term plan and commitment on my part, which is obviously the only reason I’m keeping up with it. It’s kind of relevant to my chosen passion, like.

3. Oh and don’t you mean “into” the breach? Or are you just going to sidle up and then stare into it?