What a morning

Ugh, what a night. And I got in late for work because I caught the wrong bus. Pro tip, the 711 and the 717 look identical if you don’t read the number on the front. Because they’re both buses.

But anyway, that’s not the main issue I had this morning. The main issue I had was a doozy. The main issue was this damn tooth thing. I woke up in the night with an appalling toothache. Like, this can’t wait until morning, this is emergency room morphine shit right now, felt like my jaw was trying to pull itself off my skull. I took a couple of painkillers and tried to sleep it off but no. Ended up driving myself to the emergency room at about 02:00am.

I spent another Hellish two hours waiting there after they tried to convince me to go home and then visit a dentist in the morning, and I told them that was all fine but I was in agony. They still made me wait because apparently they don’t do teeth. The guy at the desk said something about a dental technician or something being available soon, but I still had to wait and to be honest I wasn’t exactly lucid. After a short eternity the technician or whatever showed up and looked in my mouth and was like yeah, you have a cavity on one of your teeth that looks pretty gnarly, it’ll have to get cleaned out and a filling put in. I hadn’t been able to see it when I was looking in the mirror, but I had little choice but to trust him. Back to waiting.

While I was waiting, and looking for something to distract myself, I was texting with my family in Australia. They were mostly awake at this point. My dad, by strange coincidence, just happened to have a confusing but reasonably urgent legal issue to go over with me – you know, just what I wanted to do with one side of my head feeling like it had been hit with an axe. Anyway, he needed to clear some information about a property deed over in Australia. No idea what it was really about but he needed to get signatures from all three of his kids and since I was in Finland I had to do it electronically, which meant my brother and sister had to as well, and that meant we had to timestamp our signatures on the deed to show we’d all done it at the same time.

After some confusion with the date format – for some reason the Australian property bureaucracy was using the US mm-dd-yyyy format instead of the sense-making dd-mm-yyyy or even better yyyy-mm-dd – I got it signed and I finally got in to see a proper dentist. By now it was almost 06:00am and I was delirious with agony.

The dentist checked me out and said there was no problem. My teeth were all fine. He told me I’d probably slept on it wrong and pulled a muscle and gotten a migraine, or something like that. It sounded like bullshit to me. He sent me back out into the waiting room because there was some sort of swab test he was going to take, but it was pretty clear he just wanted me to go home.

As I sat back down out in the waiting room, I got another text from my dad saying that the signature timestamp thing needed a full timestamp, with the hours and minutes as well as the date.

With my last strength I sent him back the message, “Look dad, I can’t concentrate on this now. Whatever time the deed took place, my cavity wasn’t there.”

This entry was posted in Kussa mun hopoti?, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to What a morning

1. That was painful. For everyone involved.

Sorry about your tooth and your dad being a pain in the ass. Pulled muscle and migraine sounds like BS, being someone who’s had both, with the pulled muscle in my neck so…close proximity.

Now let’s get to the real issue here, though.
    “using the US mm-dd-yyyy format instead of the sense-making dd-mm-yyyy or even better yyyy-mm-dd ”

Tell me, friend, when did Hatboy the Wise abandon reason for madness?

Or, tell me, friend, which of these would you most commonly SAY out loud when you say the particular date below:
    1. “Five October, two thousand and seventeen”
    2. “October fifth, two thousand and seventeen”
    3. “Two thousand and seventeen, October fifth”
    ?

Since I’m pretty sure you’d have to honestly say #2, I’m gonna preemptively rest my case. USA NUMBER ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I say “the 5th of October”.

However, for archiving timestamp purposes, #3 is best because it arranges everything chronologically if you start with the year, then the month, then the day. Doesn’t mean I say it that way.

Also, the whole post was actually a made-up story for the purposes of that Cats joke at the end. Good news is, my teeth are fine and there was no transhemispheric paperwork to do. Only drama this morning was my amusing detour because I got on the wrong bus.

You’re welcome.

All right fair enough….

It’s a bit of a chicken-or-the-egg problem, but because we say October 5th, that arrangement makes sense in our context. Although we say it either way…because freedom! I think of it as the month we are in is more consequential (weather, etc.) than the day OR the year, so month first supports that reality. Year doesn’t change often so it doesn’t help as much to mention it first. Typically you know what year it is. Glad your teeth are fine!

Oh, it’s perfectly valid, it’s just confusing in timestamps. A standard should be observed for making them all make sense, and yyyy-mm-dd makes the most sense, but if it has to be otherwise then at least dd-mm-yyyy is still in order of denomination, so to speak.

Still makes a dog’s breakfast when you add it to a doc name though.

Sir, if you’re really truly honestly for reals saying that the utterly and unforgivably and quite inconceivably inane mm-dd-yyyy makes more sense to you than the orders-of-magnitude more logical and sane dd-mm-yyyy or the ISO-loved yyyy-mm-dd, especially for timestamp purposes, I truly got no words for you. You mad.

Well, obviously it makes more sense to me because I’ve been using it that way all my life.

I’ve not had to timestamp anything. Ever. So.

You’re still young. It’s not too late for you.

You both make good points, but I can’t help but notice you’re refusing to acknowledge the actual point of the post which was my fucking amazing joke. It makes me sad.

At least Mrs. Hatboy appreciates me.

I completely misread you. I thought you were saying one thing when actually it was something else. Holy crap am I glad I didn’t rush in gun blazing with empathetic sympathy.

PS. No, I still haven’t seen Cats , so I still don’t get the joke. I’m sure it’s awesome, though. If you say so.

PPS. Stupid WordPress app has the SEND button right next to the text input field, on its right border, so I accidentally clicked it while trying to reposition the cursor and edit my above response for better callback wit, but what can you do. This app sucks ass so bad.

“You’re still young. It’s not too late for you.”

I’ll stick to what works for me, as I’ve never done otherwise. And I’m not amused, by the way.

If you’re not amused, we’re on different pages, and I shall stop.

I’m going to regret this.

Aaron, the mm/dd/yy format we use is fairly recent and was never officially adopted as a “everyone is now going to do this thing”. In fact if you look back to the beginning of our country, we used to commonly do it the other way. That being dd/mm/yy.

Many people point to such documents as the declaration of independence as for when we switched to doing it the other way, but there are numerous occasions when the date format is used both ways, in the same document, when it is CLEAR that it was the same author.

Now having grown up the right way, I agree that mm/dd/yy makes more sense. That’s how 90% of people SAY dates, and its what I’m used to.

However for archiving purposes, I use yyyy/mm/dd. This is how all my photos and videos are saved, for ease of sorting.

And I live in Finland, so I mostly use dd/mm/yy here, because that’s what everyone else uses, and it’s just polite to go along.

They all work, they are all just as logical or sensible as any of the others.

That is all.

In Aaron’s defence, mm-dd-yyyy is 47% more freedomer.

‘Aaron, the mm/dd/yy format we use is fairly recent and was never officially adopted as a “everyone is now going to do this thing”. In fact if you look back to the beginning of our country, we used to commonly do it the other way.’

Dude are you trying to help? I’m not even interested enough anymore to ask what you mean by “fairly recent” which is really fucking vague considering the other timeframe you offer is “the beginning of our country.” I know to Europeans a 240 year old country is young, but relative to “my lifetime” which is what obviously impacts my usage, it’s vast.

The US military uses dd MONTH[1] year but other than that, all my life in America I’ve seen the vast preponderance of examples to be mm/dd/yyyy. I’m 41.

[1] 3-letter month, like Oct, Dec, Jun….

And that’s all that really matters as to why I prefer it that way. Why are we still talking about this?

• brknwntr says:

Of course I’m not trying to help. Why would you think I was trying to help?

The military also uses the metric system, which, if you are 41, was officially adopted and taught in schools when you were attending them. If anything this is simply a point at which Europeans can point at and say “wow, you are stubborn and stupid”

Wait an appropriate amount of time for the Brit (Chucky. He self identified as such, so really any mocking he does of others nationalist tendencies is suspect.) to chortle. Then ask which side of the road he drives on and why that is.

‘The military also uses the metric system, which, if you are 41, was officially adopted and taught in schools when you were attending them.’

Hmm? We LEARNED the metric system, but we don’t USE it. Not sure what the hell point you’re making. We still measure, in most professions, in our wonderful Murrican system. I learned many things but this comes down to daily life. I have been trying to make that clear.

‘If anything this is simply a point at which Europeans can point at and say “wow, you are stubborn and stupid”’

They can do that if they wish, and I’m stubborn as hell, but anyone who calls me stupid is talking to a mirror. Perhaps you’d take my advice and not suggest what others might think, though. Seems to get people in trouble on here.

You know what a hatstand is? It’s just a funny-shaped piece of wood or metal, and then people come along and put their own hats onto it.

*tokes*

I don’t even wear hats in the winter. Though in Finland I probably would. But it wouldn’t be a stylish one. More of a bank-robber one.

Really makes you think.

Your long-standing hat bigotry is re-affirmed.

• brknwntr says:

Did you never ask WHY they taught you the metric system? It’s because it was officially adopted in 1975 as the measurement system for the United States. I used this as an example, which I feel I was fairly clear about, of how obstinate and stubborn Americans can be about things that WERE officially adopted. This serves to show that there is no hope in hell of changing the average Americans mind about something UNOFFICIAL like the date format.

Now, please continue making my point for me.

And this is why international-cooperative space probes miss their orbit trajectories and fuck off into interstellar space.

I can’t wait for aliens to show up with a bunch of dead solar system probes and ask “how did you manage to lose control of these?”

“Um.”
        “Well.”
        “Thing is, the…”
        “Yeah…”
        “Um.”

I was looking for the one where Alan asked “Why do Americans drive on the wrong side of the road?” and Rich replied “I don’t know, maybe it’s because we INVENTED THE FUCKING CAR.”

Then Stephen’s great put-down as he explains that Americans didn’t in fact invent the car, only mass-produced it first. But the above video is also funny.

And Australians drive on the left because a) you can’t drive to Australia on a bridge, so it doesn’t really matter; b) Australia is part of Britain which you sort of spoiled as a joke by calling me British in your comment, but that’s okay because I know you USians are still working on the whole “jokes” thing, aside from Rich Hall who I believe was deported for being funny (BRKN? Is there anything you want to tell us?)…

Although now that there’s an actual road to Great Britain, I agree that they really should get with the program and/or programme.

For a long time I wasn’t aware that driving on the left was a different issue for America than metric system usage. Meaning, I thought just as many countries did one as used the other. I’m not saying I thought the driving on the left was BECAUSE of the metric system. I was especially heartened, several years ago, to come across a map like this that shows an area where we are NOT backwards over here.

Oh yeah, it’s basically the tail end of the British Empire, and some well-wishers in Japan. Which, yeah, again, island.

• brknwntr says:

Yeah, he should have known better. Germans invented the car, if I remember correctly. Henry Ford, genius that he is, only made it affordable and available.

Hatboy, you talk about ME being willing to go far for a joke?

Jesus.

“Oh I say what I think all the time. I can do that, because I’m right. On the rare occasions I’m wrong, Hatboy calls me on it and I *shrug* and move on.”

I said not to say what OTHERS think. So you’re wrong right there…can’t even read. LMAO

“Did you never ask WHY they taught you the metric system?”

Knowledge? I never question the quest for more knowledge.

“It’s because it was officially adopted in 1975 as the measurement system for the United States. I used this as an example, which I feel I was fairly clear about, of how obstinate and stubborn Americans can be about things that WERE officially adopted. This serves to show that there is no hope in hell of changing the average Americans mind about something UNOFFICIAL like the date format.”

It also shows how meaningless an official designation is to Americans. Maybe we’re not as patriotic as we are accused.

“Now, please continue making my point for me.”

Your point and my point are barely tangential but I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself. Even when you fail to read what I write correctly XD