Australians I have never met and yet I like, and who make me proud

No, I’m not stopping. Nor am I sorry.

Quite aside from Ilya, who was not an Australian when I met him and who now is one, and one with whom I am delighted to share citizenship … and aside from his better half Jade who I have yet to meet … and aside from all the others I don’t have time to mention and nor should I have to in order to avoid the misapprehension that I hate them … here’s another good Australian who is basically saying the same thing I have been trying to say here. Maybe if I repost, and say this in as many different ways and as many different voices as I can, it will stick.

Yes, this is a polarising issue. Yes, it is binary and it sets “us” against “them”, and puts anyone on the “No” side as my opposition, if not my enemy. It is the Australian government who has made it that way. They did it intentionally, with this postal survey. And that is an idea I hate.

I don’t really have it in me to hate people. Most of you know me well enough to know that. I’m sure I could be encouraged to, for personal reasons, but hypothetical situations involving rapists and mass-murderers … of course I don’t like them. I want them gone. Rehabilitated or turned into garden mulch, I don’t really care. Hate them? Maybe. I certainly hate what people do. And in this case, it is what the No voters are doing, with the endorsement of a government who tacitly support the idea that LBGT and anti-LBGT are two equal sides that deserve equal respect and equal voice, while only the anti-LBGT side actually deserves certain rights, that I hate.

Yes, I hate.

Now, let’s hear from someone else on the Fuck The No Voters I Don’t Care About Their Motivations side. Over to you, Kai.

kai_wild

Thank you. And for context, I don’t know the guy, never met him. This is a share-of-a-share, but Mr. Wild posted publicly for this purpose so I am assuming there’s no problem with getting the message to as many different channels as possible. And obviously, this post is right in line with my ideology and my goddamn motherfucking rhetoric.

Also, Kai’s beard and Tom Hardy games are both strong as fuck.

This entry was posted in Hatboy's Nuggets of Crispy-Fried Wisdom and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Australians I have never met and yet I like, and who make me proud

1. KMA says:

Well. Yes. 🙂

Right on board with this guy and you. Except I do have advice. We need to avoid “it’s 2017” because that has become a catch-phrase for many to instantly dismiss us. I don’t know if you’re aware of any of these, but having viewed the enemy for quite some time, I can tell you other things like “problematic” are also key words they look for. I know, they don’t have the right to do this to the English language, but still if we are aware we can get around it.

So instead of “it’s 2017” perhaps, in this example, the phrase can be eliminated without losing any force. Or we could say “are we still worried about gay buttsex, children?” or something else. Personal choice on that. Hey, lookie there, it’s like my ideology is consistent across issues or something, when I can drop in phrases like that and they apply to multiple topics.

Here’s a little fun for everyone…I hope!

This is a roasting (by CreationistCat) of an Australian youtuber (Bearing) who has one of these…nobler?…supposed reasons for voting “no” on the petition. I won’t provide any spoilers, but CC is pretty funny. This isn’t even his funniest roasting. He’s taken down SargonofAkkad, Right-wing SJWs, Milo Yiannopolous or however you fucking spell it, and other big youtubers (usually right-wing), and bigger celebrities. All by pretending to be a highly religious cat zapped by God through the internet.

So, just to save you brief confusion: CC’s totally kidding with any religious or right-wing views he may say here. You’ll catch on to his gimmick soon enough. He also has some great video clips he includes and edits as part of his videos. If his best examples of those are a 10, I’d say these here are mere 5’s. Some good ones, but he’s got really good material.

Wish he had more subscribers. I’ve been thinking of an excuse to put one of his videos up here for some time.

Ugh, it was fun, but then I had to go and watch the original video. So much Not Homophobic Butt. So very, very much. And oh yeah, the girl who got fired for voting No should definitely sue for wrongful termination, and the guy who head-butted Tony Abbott said it had nothing to do with same-sex marriage, it was because he saw Tony Abbott and realised he’d never get a better chance to head-butt a genuine humanoid piece of shit. Which Abbott is, on so many levels.

Yeah, although with the girl who got fired, IF she’s not lying THEN sure she should sue. See, I’ve come to distrust these right-wing cries of foul which spread so fast they’re basically memes. So many times, they’re entirely made up, or so near as to not matter. And, you know, it focuses on the bigot-as-victim instead of the queers-as-victims, which is also irritating. This is another tactic I see time and again, and I just. Don’t. Trust. Them. Anymore.

Sorry you went to the original source! I should have provided more warnings…or any, I guess. I don’t check CC for potential out-of-context quoting anymore. I’ve found that his integrity is rock solid.

I think my favorite take-down of his was against Milo. He uncovered that Milo used to BE a “whiny, liberal SJW” who was trying to tell the right-wingers to be more PC! He found several authored articles of Milo’s, before he got on the money train! Just like Sargon, and probably Bearing, and so many others. Completely discredits him IMO, to see he used to be on the side he’s now attacking. Because his attacks are so divorced from reality. Therefore I don’t accept that he’s somehow violently rebelling against the mistakes of his past.

No! He just figured out where the action is at!

Sure, but I believe it. I also believe it wasn’t the sole reason she was fired, and of course if there’s a legal issue that’s a different matter entirely. That’s not going to change if and when Australia joins the civilised world. The only difference is, instead of a No voter having a say in denying someone’s rights or making other people consider denying others’ rights, they will just be saying “I don’t think this partnership should be legally upheld.” In short, their views are going to have a much harder time sounding less than shitty. The marriage equality survey and attendant shouting matches may be their last chance to make (very very very) arguably justifiable anti-LBGT-rights arguments, and make it about freeze peach, as CC says.

If she wants to sue, I say let her. Everyone has the right to express their opinion, no matter how much I might dislike it. Taking it to court will allow the full story to come out.

For example:

“Advertising your desire to vote no for [same-sex marriage] is, in my eyes, hate speech,” [Sims] said.

Sims said it wasn’t a case of “you’re voting no, you’re fired” because “there were prior conversations had”.

“As a business that works with children of all kinds, we have a responsibility to working with vulnerable people and having someone who is out [and] proud about their beliefs (of which are statistically proven to have horrible effects on young members of the gay community) is a risk for the wellbeing of the children we work with.”

“You can bring a complaint on that basis, it’s a decision for the ACT civil and administrative tribunal [to determine],” [Smith] said.

Smith said that “if religious convictions are a protected attribute – as they are in [the] ACT – then generally it is not permissible to fire someone for those convictions – this could constitute direct discrimination”.

However, employers “can generally prescribe what workers can and can’t say and do on the job to clients”, she said.

Gelber said discrimination law contained “longstanding exemptions for religious organisations”, allowing them to discriminate on sexuality and gender.

“Nobody is suggesting that exemption be removed – it is misleading to suggest that same-sex marriage will lead to churches being put in position where their teachings or employment practices will be illegal [bolding mine] … They will still be free to discriminate in hiring.”

(full story)

And:

“She was let go because her actions showed she is extremely out & proud about her views on homosexuals and as someone who, as I said before, has an responsibility to the vulnerable people we work with, could not risk her voicing those opinions to any children of ours,” Sims wrote on Tuesday.

“We have gay staff members. We entertain at parties where the children of gay parents attend. We entertain at parties where gay children attend.

“This. Woman. Was. A. Risk.”

(full story)

Thanks for providing the details on the firing. I guess in this case it really happened.

Does look like a complicated issue that I’m not about to use for my political ends, like the alt-right and right-wing are. But ok, she was fired, and kind-of for expressing her views on this vote. A bit. Also for being a horrible person unsuited for the job she was given. It wasn’t like she was flipping burgers, after all. So, let the courts decide.

But good video! I laughed aloud at the chorus to Crocodile Rock.