Hosting IV: Nothing To Really Do With Hosting

So far so good, our house guest is a nice bloke and seems satisfied with our classy “air mattress in the bar” sleeping arrangements. He hasn’t fallen and broken his neck on assorted stuff lying around the house, either – and as mentioned, he even survived a visit from Mr. BRKN with only mild trauma. It’s nice to have a guest, even though I’m very much an absentee host.

Our guest has also been politely interested in my writing process, which he’s arrived at a great time to see in absolute shambolic disarray. My editorial comments have (mostly) come in for Bad Cow, and it’s looking … let’s take a leaf from the book of corporate management and say “full of opportunities”.

mediocre

Yeah, that bad.

But I’m trying not to go into full weepy unbalanced author mode, and trying still further to avoid pissy tantrums at my poor editors who found themselves dealing with 700 pages of what-the-fuck-is-this-even which basically takes the most obscure and fantastical side-notes of The Final Fall of Man and goes “oh yeah, actually this was the main point of the whole thing.”

I slept on it, and thought about it, and there’s some work to be done but I think ultimately the purpose of the editors has been served, and the result will be a better story – not just the epic I want to tell, full of details and sidelines and tangents and oh, so many footnotes, but also an actual story that readers will want to read. I mean, imagine that. How unselfish am I?

The situation is actually not entirely unlike the masses of excellent feedback I got from my man Aaron after he read through the Book of Pinian series lo all these many moons and years ago. Lots to change, lots to do, maybe a little discouraged and certainly very daunted … but this is it. It’s the big one. It may not have been a foundation stone I was planning on writing, but it happened, and it’s going to have to be good. Because if I whack down an unreadable bag of sand as a foundation stone, this whole thing is going to burn down, fall over, and then sink into the swamp.

And that’s not happening with this one. This one stays up.

This entry was posted in Office Posts, Random, Oræl Rides To War, The Book of Pinian and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Hosting IV: Nothing To Really Do With Hosting

1. stchucky says:

For the record, I’m still hoping to get the edits done so that I can honestly say the book is done, and in production, but the 14th of October’s release party. I’ve tolerated as much “you’re going all George RR Martin” as I’m going to tolerate, at least until such time as literally any of the positive benefits of being George RR Martin begin to apply to me and my writing.

As to whether CreateSpace and my most excellent e-book producer, Lucas Thorn, are ready on time with the publications … that remains to be seen. But I intend to have submitted my final draft by then.

Well, maybe I did myself a favor extracting myself from this process! I think I did a poor job commenting on Pinian but given the size of that undertaking, I surely hit on a few helpful things in the course of it. However, I’m not sure I’d be up for that again!

That said, allow me to contradict whatever GRRM comments you’ve been receiving. You can’t be “going all” GRRM since you’re, oh I dunno, writing and interacting with your readers and listening to what we have to say. So fuck that shit. You’re good, man. And you’re aware of the criticisms and surely would avoid being a pompous asshole taking 12 years between books in a story you supposedly have all figured out. OK I need to stop myself mid-rant there before this gets even more tedious.

Hang in there.

Who compared you to GRRM this time? I only do it when you switch topics on the blog. I’ve never done it with the books. I don’t think…..

Let’s be honest, you are writing faster then most of your audience seems capable of reading. (As an aside, I’m quite annoyed with folks who show up at the bar and drink free booze and don’t appear to be making even a token effort. The folks who show up, don’t read, but bring their own booze, them I’m OK with.

Unless the really really thin editor has dropped their copy off, you still aren’t last bro.

You guys really ought to get a look at Captain Clue’s editorial copy of the book. I thought Mr. BRKN’s dog did a number on one of his copies, but this is something else.

Plus, she only got about halfway through it but I think I have more than enough comments to affect a complete literary remodel at this point.

Yeah, Captain Clue may have been dragged into something and ripped to pieces for her brain stem. Hazard of the job.

I was wondering about the really really thin one’s identity. I guessed incorrectly.

Hey, editor question, “who” vs. “whom”. I was writing “whom was the really really…” but then I wasn’t sure if it was “whom” or “who”. Someone help me!

“I was wondering who ‘the really really skinny one’ was”, but “I was wondering to whom ‘the really really skinny one’ referred.”

Basic rule. Stay tuned for the 3,276,775 exceptions.

“I was wondering who ‘the really really skinny one’ was”

Thanks! I knew the “to whom” bit, but “who” there felt really weird. Kind of like how people get into the habit of “Emma Watson and I” all the time, even in cases where it should be “Emma Watson and me”[1]. I’m 99% sure it’s because “and me” sounds less classy to their ears.

[1] Oh yes, it should be.

Also “comma witch” is a rule I enjoy…hopefully y’all know what I’m talking about: “the person that…” but “the person’s car, which”. I saw a manager goof up by being robotic on that one. “Which” doesn’t ALWAYS require a comma, of course, but if “which” is being used to start another phrase it needs one. Sometimes “which” can just replace “that”, but the rule creates a trap.

“The person who”, surely?

Full points for your footnote game though.

Damnit, I was in a rush. I had random characters there but decided to person-alize it…. See what I get?