Last Night’s Dream

Last night, I was suffering very mild flu-like symptoms, I was tired as Hell and I had an unfortunate gas problem that meant I had to get up every couple of hours to go to the bathroom.

Sometime around 03:00am, I had a bizarre dream.

It was the near future and I was part of the now-militant “ordinary decent people” league. What the white supremacist shitbags call “antifascists” with absolutely no self-awareness or shame whatsoever.

All very commendable, but here’s where it got interesting.

I had a uniform, body armour, and some sort of assault rifle. We were lining the streets, government buildings, of someplace in the US. We’d won, or so it seemed. The bigots and Nazis and general bad people were lined up and ready to be gunned down.

And they were all ordinary people.

They were diverse, they were holding hands, they were waiting to see what would happen. I’m sure, somewhere, there were a few hundred swastika-waving dickbiscuits ready to improve the world by dying, but the ones I had my gun trained on just looked like ordinary folks. I was the one in the black uniform. The one with the gun.

I’m not going to even dignify the idea that the antifascists are as bad as, let alone worse than the actual fascists. But I guess violence begets violence and it’s very easy to lose sight of how small a minority these enemies of ours actually are. It’s true of the murderous jihadis, and it’s true of the genocidal Nazis.

Anyway, that’s when the fighting started, and there were plenty of armed skinheads to have running gun battles with through the dystopian cityscape after that. I wound up joining forces with the ordinary folks, or at least the teams kept changing … it got pretty weird as the morning crawled on.

Still, made me think. Not rightly sure what my subconscious is telling me.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Last Night’s Dream

Still, made me think. Not rightly sure what my subconscious is telling me.

Your subconscious is telling you that dreameling had a point.

Nah, pretty sure that’s not it. I would’ve woken up irritated instead of shaken.

I still sincerely believe we’re approaching a point of “if you’ve ever wondered how you would act when the Third Reich came for your neighbours, this is your chance to find out.” And I think those who are currently saying “respect opinions, let them talk, obey the rules” are absolutely going to be swept into the landfill of history along with the low-key-shitty majority of otherwise good Germans who let that evil happen. I want to be better than that.

But going against the rules is … really something I’ve found Finns have trouble with. Mostly because they’re right – the rules are in place to protect us all and were arrived at by wiser heads than ours. It can, however, become institutionalised. If not pathological.

It’s not about obeying the rules. It’s about respecting people’s right to their opinions in a free society. That freedom of speech is also a rule of law is incidental… And we’re already back to the Punching Nazis discussion, and I don’t want to repeat any more of what’s already been said.

Suffice it to say, I’m starting to get almost as worried about the aggressively passionate (and apparently also violent in some cases) response of the liberal left to the alt-right, than I am of the rise of the alt-right itself.

Humans are morons.

Then there’s nothing more to say at this point, we’re just back to trying not to judge each other and waiting for the next shoe to drop.

I think we could fix this issue over a pint (or a dozen).

Also, I wish the next shoe is a benevolent machine superintelligence.

Wholeheartedly agreed, and as I said in the previous debate I certainly don’t think less of you for your opinion, even if I think you’re wrong. Because I know your heart’s in the right place on this.

I think everyone thinks their heart’s in the right place. Incidentally, I honestly think heart (which is to say emotion-driven, passion-fuelled decision-making) is part of the problem.

I know, I know, it was just a complementary figure of speech, but I just couldn’t help myself.

Oh, I made a reference to illogical emotion purely to offend you, don’t worry.

Don’t Trump me, man.

My words were beautiful.

2. Pingback: No. Wait a minute. No. | Hatboy's Hatstand

3. Wow. I’m surprised that you two are on opposite sides of this fine point. I can’t respect an opinion that means you hate someone else for something beyond their control (like skin color). And I can’t respect an opinion that seeks genocide based on that hate. I agree with dreameling that it’s about heart, and it’s the sick hearts that these Nazis have that is the problem.

Never you worry about the response of the liberal left…at least not those of us who want an end to the hate. I can’t speak for “antifa”, nor do I fully trust they are liberals. I’ve seen far too much trickery lately.

The “antifa” attacks are really hard to get a bead on. I don’t doubt that there are a lot of angry, aggressive idiots out there and a lot of people taking the opportunity to lash out at various folks they’ve held grudges against. The one I reference in my later post, with a Snopes article, actually quotes the victim as saying he was pretty sure it was in fact alt-right people responsible, because the antifa community in his area reached out and have been really supportive.

I like to hope that the anti-fascist side of things here in Finland is a bit more peaceful, either way.

By far the more worrying threat is the possibility that anything you might say or ever have said online or in a text message conversation or basically anywhere might be used as fodder to utterly destroy you through social media. That is a real thing these days. We see it happen to the Nazis and go “meh, good riddance” even if it’s really just cutting away their last ties to civilisation. But it’s terrifying because it could happen to anyone.

But hey, bright sides! If we take all three of these sides to their ultimate extreme – Nazi, Antifa, Jihadi – guess what? I just listed them in order of how worried about each group I am.

Good to see you back, man.

• Cheers.

Again, I just pretty much agree with what you said there. Not really worried about things said on social media destroying me because I basically try to be humane in my non-anonymous interactions. I’m sure there’s something there, but I’m not too worried about it. I’m more worried about any resistance at all to our government resulting in unconstitutional retaliation. If that’s under the umbrella of what you said, then yeah, that.

As to your list, I can’t possibly rank the last 2 because I don’t know who the fuck we’re talking about with Antifa. So I get an escape hatch on any pressure to make my own list. But definitely Nazis first.

I was thinking, and since I didn’t comment during the “punching Nazis” era of your blog, I wonder if good people on different sides of that issue are answering the same question. Because “what do you think about punching Nazis” isn’t as simple as it seems. Does the question mean, do I think the person shouldn’t face assault and battery charges? No, I think they should. Does it mean I think they’re wrong-headed for wanting to punch a Nazi? Well, it was a black guy, so no, I don’t. I understand him. Would I personally punch a Nazi? It depends. And no matter how hard you describe a scenario to me, I can’t possibly correctly tell you what I’d do in real life. You can’t simulate how threatened I feel unless you specifically say “and you feel threatened”. At which point, well, don’t I get to defend myself?

So, do I feel Nazis deserve punching? Yes. But it’s still illegal, and still wrong to initiate violence. Nuanced.

Man, now there’s suddenly like a ton of stuff here. I can’t keep up.