Status Report, 5.7.2017

Bloody Hell, I’m out of time. I’ve got to get to Itis to hitch a ride with Mr. BRKN to retrieve my car from the mechanic.

The Volvo, who I believe we lazily nicknamed Börge, is dead on its wheels. Not entirely sure what happened to it, but its coolant tank started to run dry again, and mystery-moisture began puddling in the driver’s side floor. This was traced to a leak that was too inaccessible to repair for less than a couple of thousand.

So now, in accordance with my earlier resolution not to keep throwing money at this thing out of a misguided belief that “one more repair and it’ll be fine for years to come”[1], it looks like we are in the market for a new (or decent used) car. Oh well. It was good while it lasted, Börge, but you are incontinent now. And unlike me, there’s no recourse to a colostomy bag.

[1] Although apparently our mechanic has put sealant in the coolant system that should hold the pipes together and stop the leaking, and this apparently worked for another Volvo sufficient to keep it running for several years, so … I don’t know why they don’t just build the cars like that in the first place. I’m probably missing something important.

Tomorrow, if all goes well, I’m hitting Jumbo with my lanttumies and doing some preparatory shopping for the bash at Bar Äijä’s on Friday night, and we may or may not also be seeing the new Spiderman movie.

In the meantime, here’s those PC specs I was promising.

specs

Don’t know if Speccy’s general view tells you anything. It certainly tells me nothing. Oh wait, look, I had my random-note-scribbling USB stick in for file-swap purposes, and I was charging my iPod. So yeah, that checks out.

So, that was Wednesday already, apparently.

This entry was posted in Office Posts, Random, The Chucky Report and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Status Report, 5.7.2017

Speccy is a good tool. And that tells plenty. Although, sadly, I’m not quite up to speed on the latest Intel generations (Haswell seems to have succeeded Ivy Bridge, so it’s pretty old) or Radeon models (the R9 200 series sports a lot of cards; but it’s a high-end series).

Do share a screenshot of the “Graphics” section.

Weird that Speccy doesn’t give the specific model for the graphics card, only the series. But based on the specs and year, it’s R9 290. Definitely a high-end card back in the day in 2013. Seems to be faster than my GTX 680 bought in 2012.

But you don’t play today’s high-end games with either. 😦

Perfectly sufficient for Word, though.

My non-playing buddy has a faster PC than I. My parents-in-law have a big 4K TV and a 4K BD player as opposed to my small HD TV and BD. I’m fat.

WHAT IS HAPPENING!?

But you don’t play today’s high-end games with either.

I’ll let you know how it performs when I finally get around to reloading my Steam games and taking a swing at them.

Perfectly sufficient for Word, though.

Yep, it’s been working fine. I had some trouble with some old files that I had added a password-save onto … but it turned out the main issue with them was that they were ancient Word formats and the computer was opening them like a paleontologist unearths a dinosaur fossil, you know, painstakingly with a toothbrush. Which is why it took ages.

I saved them as newer secure docs and now they open fine.

That “I’m fat” came so out of nowhere, I brayed like a mule in the middle of the office. Lucky almost everyone here is either on holiday or sleeping in.

2. Laurence says:

I’m with Dreamling – that computer looks pretty good to me – fairly similar to mine in specs. I suspect you won’t be doing much gaming on it though, at least not at the high end, but I also suspect that doesn’t bother you too much.

As to why they don’t put the sealant in there in the factory, it’s because whilst it will gum up holes you don’t want, it will also gum up holes you do want! It’s basically a last ditch “well, it’s already broken so any change has to be an improvement, right?” sort of fix. I guess it’s a bit like saying “Why don’t we just slap colostomy bags on babies, just in case? It’ll save time later, right?”.

My old computer worked fine for all the games I wanted to play but didn’t have time for. This computer should be an improvement on that one. So no problem. Especially since all I want is Microsoft Word.

And your colostomy bag anal…ogy is horribly appropriate.

• Laurence says:

Yeah, I don’t really do the high end games much any more either. Been spending all my free time playing Factorio recently, and I think that’s more demanding on the processor than the graphics card. I’m not sure what Word is demanding on – probably your wallet.

I’m glad you approve of the anal loogie.

I don’t actually know what a high-end game is. I guess Skyrim and Deadpool are as high-end as I want to go. Had a laugh with Mrs. Hatboy about it when we were installing the antivirus and I had Steam open, and it told me I had 88 minutes invested in Deadpool.

I mean, I had a respectable several-hundred-hours in the Torchlight games … but no. When I get computer time, I’m not thinking about games at this point.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure your rig is faster than mine, even if only a little. But still, faster. Jesus. I can’t even.

I just wanna know. Really, no competition or anything like. For realz.

Why are you turning my blog into a house of lies, dreameling?

I’m so transparent.

It’s so weird when people write dreameling with a capital “D”. Makes my ass itch.