Interlude: Burns Supper

Last night, Mrs. Hatboy and I were pleased to secure invitations to a celebratory dinner at Suomenlinna, for the Finnish Scottish Society’s first annual Burns Supper.

This celebrates Burns Day / Burns Night, which is the day of the Scottish national poet, Robert “Rabbie” Burns. I was involved because, due to a long chain of amusing events in recent history, I’d become known to the Society as a bagpiper who would play for pints.

So, after the professional pipers priced themselves out of the market, the gig was mine for half a bottle of excellent scotch, a few beers, and all the fish stew, haggis, neeps, tatties and clooty dumplings Mrs. Hatboy and I could eat.

A brilliant night ensued. We met up with another fun couple and plugged my books to them and got them interested in Worldcon and cosplaying (at least … I want to say Lisa but I’m afraid I don’t remember exactly, Lisa was keen but her husband Lauri was doubtful. Call it a work in progress).

Dinner was brilliant. I piped in the haggis for them and that was a great success, even though clapping and boot-stomping to Highland Cathedral tends to make it too fast to handle. The address was recited marvellously, I piped us off with Scotland the Brave, and that was my obligation over for the night. The haggis was excellent.

Not sure if the links will work but give it a go. Otherwise I’ll find a way of getting them onto YouTube.

The highlight of the night, for me, was when we were heading home on the ferry with a bunch of drunk teenagers-or-twentysomethings. They were singing Eppu Normaali and basically being kids. Fun but a little bit grating for an old fart. So I got up, took my pipes out onto the deck, and played Amazing Grace as we crossed Helsinki harbour.

The video really doesn’t do it justice. Definite highlight of the night.

It was glorious. There was low cloud and the Suomenlinna lighthouse and the city lights shone through it, there was ice on the water and my fingers were freezing. And one of the kids from inside the boat had a religious experience and just knelt in front of me while I played (you can see him at the start of the video). He’s only human I guess.

In a still more amusing moment, we were told to look under our seats to see if we could find anything taped there. There was a selection of interesting Robbie Burns facts. We were instructed to come up and read out our fact, and get a shot of whiskey for our trouble. I went up with a Robbie Burns fact and a “Product of Finland” sticker I had ripped off my seat. I demanded two shots of whiskey, and got them.

What a great night.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in The Chucky Report and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Interlude: Burns Supper

Whoa. You can actually play! I’m sure this is the first time I’ve heard your pipes.

Bagpipes look funny.

The latter video is behind a Facebook wall. Please put it in YouTube.

I’ll do what I can if I ever get back on my computer again, ever.

Alright, I YouTubed and linked. Also added an explanation for that last picture, which was worth adding.

Enjoy the grainy, lo-res goodness.

Brilliant. 🙂

Amazing Grace with bagpipes always makes me think of police and firefighter funerals, though.

LOL

In before BRKN saying “Taps”:

Witness drunk-arse motherfucker trying to get me to play Amazing Grace several years ago. And by “several”, I apparently mean “a fucking decade”.

That post’s just way too long. The pics tho. Are you sure that was a wedding?

The relevant part:

“I returned to the bar and had the distinct pleasure of talking to the Music Critic again.

“This time, he was of the opinion that I should have played “you know, that song, they always play it in American movies, when the army guy dies and they have the funeral and they fold up the flag and give it to the wife and there’s guns firing and stuff, you probably don’t know it.”

“I told him the tune was probably “Amazing Grace”, and in fact I did know it, and I had in fact played it during my second set. He couldn’t remember that far back, of course, but still seemed doubtful that I knew it. I hummed him a few bars, and that shut him up on the subject of American army funeral movie songs, at least.”

But yeah, that was … one Hell of a wedding. Or whatever you might want to call it.