Quasilude (II): Creation Tourism

So. The ground is impossibly vast, but the sky is infinite. This is what you need to remember. And yes, you can travel to altitudes so horrifically great, the light of the ground has not yet reached them and you find yourself drifting in the primordial blue nothing-yet-ness.

Not that there’s much to see of the ground at an altitude of a billion light years. It’s a tint, a fuzzy layer providing some sort of division, a floor to the sky, something towards which you can fall. Physics, as I mentioned, refuses to play nice at these ludicrous scales.

But, most interesting of all, in that place – in that universe, the universe of the forever sky – there is a cusp. The ground is visible, and is visible at an ever-increasing altitude, crawling up the universe at the speed of light like a great tawny beast clawing its way to the surface of an endless ocean.

Just as you can watch an exploding star, then fly away from it faster-than-light and watch it explode again, you can fly up into the sky and look down upon the moment of creation itself.

It’s a long way up. A long way, and getting further all the time. At high registers of faster-than-light travel, it can take years to get there, years to get back. They’re always finding tweaks and shortcuts, but the distance is truly phenomenal. Too far up, and you’ll wait a trillion years for the light to arrive. Too low, and it will be past you, and you will find yourself looking down at the distant hypothetical construct of the ground as if it had always been there.

The creation tourism organisers take sightseers up, up, to a point perhaps a light week above the ascending wave, and then they set up, and they have a bit of a party, and they wait.

The main event is, of course, nothing less than the moment of creation itself.

I’ve never seen it, but it’s said to be underwhelming until you actually think about what you’ve seen. The vaguely-distressing formless pre-Word sky, the vaulting blue unsullied by any trace of solid matter beside the vessel you arrived in, is divided by a faint and fuzzy discolouration. A pale beige smudge that fills the lower half of the universe. It’s not until you actually realise what has happened before your brief and mortal eyes – the moment at which the Infinite created the practical urverse – that it really hits home.

You had witnessed the most profound moment that has ever, and will ever occur in the history of existence.

And your first reaction had been meh.

This entry was posted in Creepy and Hatboy Save the World, Hatboy's Nuggets of Crispy-Fried Wisdom, IACM, The Book of Pinian and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Quasilude (II): Creation Tourism

So, if the sky is infinite, wouldn’t the air pressure on the ground be infinitely high? :p

Maybe in this universe. Different universe = different physical laws.

But you knew I was going to say that.

I kinda did. But I had to ask.

Just like a practically infinite mass of ground should collapse into a set of supermassive black holes, but doesn’t.

Indeed! Some Urverses, man.

*universes.

The urverse is singular by definition – it contains everything. If there was more than one of them, they’d both exist within each other and still be singular.

And, actually, quite a lot of universes have physical laws fairly similar to The Centre, and vastly different to our own. Almost all of them, in fact. Every universe is different to one degree or other.

The Centre’s atmospheric and foundational stability and uniformity makes perfect sense if you know about recursive density gradients, repeating-space planar layering, and aactur understructural formations.

But now we’re veering into “You prove your fiction by referencing your fiction? Dude!” territory…

Well, I meant “Urverse” more like “a fiction author’s crazy-ass story world cosmology”, but I take your point. Up in the ass of Timo.

Now now, I didn’t mean anything by it. Just relishing the chance to make up reams and reams of totally canonical bullshit. I may name a Law after you. dreameling’s Third Law? The Lagus Theorem?

Hey, I was just trying to be funny. I didn’t take it to mean anything. Man, I should go back to using smileys.

If you immortalize “Lagus” in the books, I will buy you dinner. (No, not a prelude to anything going up my ass!)

On the to-do pile it goes.

Selling my artistic integrity for a meal. I am finally a real author.