The Myconet, Part 5

Day 62. 161 pages, 58,131 words. Pre-written, party was last night, report ASAP.

The … where was I? Right … the fifth thing you notice about the Myconet is that she’s not a soothsayer, not really. She can’t see the future. It’s just that she’s seen so much of the past, the future is a matter of logical extension. Imagine that the world is a glass of water that fell off a ledge above a stone floor at the moment of the Big Bang. The entirety of observable and measurable time is the split-second it has taken the glass to fall. Those of us with normal lives, well, we only see an infinitesimal slice of that time, so the glass is just hanging there in space, motionless, and that’s what we assume – with a certain amount of justification – will continue to happen. Strict and detailed observance of natural background physics will teach us otherwise, but few of us have time for that.

The Myconet has been around, if not since the glass began to fall, then at least since it said a final and permanent farewell to the ledge it had been sitting on. She’s been watching it fall. So she can’t actually look into the future and see the glass smashing into a million pieces and water going everywhere? Big deal. She’s picked up a pretty good idea that’s what’s going to happen, over the years. And the more I explain this, the more it occurs to me that this isn’t actually a metaphor.

“Oh sure,” one can easily say. “Sure, on that sort of scale, we can all tell the future. The universe will eventually run down, stars burn out, atoms decay and entropy set in. Something like that, anyway. Ultimately, that’s what’s going to happen. You don’t need to have been around for a long time to know that.”

Well, that’s true. But the Myconet has a special quality that allows her to use her knowledge for the small picture as well as the big one. She doesn’t just know the ultimate end-state of the whole, she can track the movement of the particles because she has been watching them, has been among them. She’s in the water.

This is quite different to, say, the Three-Quarters Man. Who is standing next to the ledge with his index finger extended into the place the glass used to be.

You know. Metaphorically speaking.

This entry was posted in Astro Tramp 400, Creepy and Hatboy Save the World, IACM and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Myconet, Part 5

Wait, so Creepy and Hatboy are in…that…thing I’m not supposed to reference or talk about in any way?

If you mean the Book of Pinian … not exactly.

No, the connection is only developing in this case between published material, either on Amazon or the blog. That’s the only canon. And the blog is uncooked canon.

“If you mean the Book of Pinian … not exactly.”

Aaaaaah you said it!

Hmm, so the 3/4 dude (altered because I’m tryna be circumspect) maybe was a mettafur?

The Three-Quarters Man is in both. But that’s not the connection in this case and how he’s in both is unexplained, unless you care to hypothesise.

Cool! Oh, I care to hypothesize. But…in my head for now. More information needed, anyway, and as you properly pointed out, I shouldn’t talk about what I’ve been re-reading recently.

Well fair enough and well said. Come to think of it, I believe the Three-Quarters Man has the honour of being in the Final Fall of Man, the Book of Pinian and Creepy and Hatboy. First (and so far only) connection, but yes – unexplained.

So the 3QM is in TFFoM? Where?

“So the 3QM is in TFFoM? Where?”

He’s actually in disguise as Crom. *runs away*

*shoots The Patriot in the ass*

Three-Quarters Man, the – Another denizen of the Wasteland, and perhaps the most mysterious and ominous. As it is written, he is “…twelve feet tall, covered with baggy black clothes that are sometimes cloak, sometimes trousers and shirt, always wrong, somehow. Sometimes, when the wind blows at him, the clothes between his head and his feet billow as if there’s nothing in there. He wears boots, also black, and scuffed and scarred from years of walking, and stamping on things that really didn’t want to be stamped on. He also wears a hat, of which super-sidekicks like Creepy and Hatboy would approve. It is big, and broad-brimmed, and sags over the majority of the Three-Quarters Man’s face, obscuring all but a long, lumpy chin, and a mouth full of big, old, yellow teeth.” He came from the Mountains, and wanders at random. Nobody wants to know why.

Doesn’t ring a bell.

“Doesn’t ring a bell.”

That’s like, your opinion…man….

Sorry just taking a break from being smug at Trump fans on youtube to be smug here. I like to diversify.

Dang it, I was sure I’d made a passing mention of him in reference to the tooth fairy, the Three-Quarters Man, and other fairy tales, but apparently that just happened in my head. Oh well.

He is sort of mentioned in there, though. It’s not mentioned as part of his CV here on the blog so it’s still only uncooked canon, but the Three-Quarters Man is a shedder.

Maybe you did mention him, but I just don’t recall. Me not recalling something should not be proof on nonexistence. 🙂

No no, I did a search through my full-series PDF. He ain’t there. Which makes me sad.

I did wonder if I’d missed something but of course I’ve read a lot about him elsewhere, so it blends together. Wish I had a fucking file to search for shit, LOL.

To be fair, I took a ridiculously long time to combine my PDFs into one. It wasn’t until Damorak that I had all of them together. Which, *cough* I suppose was down to the workplace I was at, and its access to actual PDF editing software.

Bizarrely, we didn’t have licenses for that shit at other places I’ve worked at. I mean, standard documentation stuff, you would think!

Yeah, PDF editing is the shit, but even workplaces here are pretty skimpy with the licenses. At least, in small businesses where I’ve been. Not sure what I have here at the NRC, haven’t needed to test it.