Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Again)

Day 14. 0 pages, 0 words.

I reviewed this nine years ago, when we saw it at the cinema.

Watched it again with Wump last night, and it was as un-gripping as I remember. Wump was underwhelmed. Huge book, lots going on, and the movie managed to be a dull, cut-to-ribbons hodgepodge with nothing much to recommend it.

Still, fun evening.

We also watched the new Magnificent Seven movie on Friday. It was cool. I think the “original” had more heart, and the true original was a classic, but this was a fun action movie with plenty of nice Western tropes. Not quite Unforgiven, but close.

I was left wondering why they hadn’t made Suicide Squad as a retelling of the Magnificent Seven. The premise of the story perfectly suited the plot. Each character could have been properly introduced amidst the unfolding of the enemy scheme. And the whole thing is a reboot anyway, so plagiarism is apparently fine. It wouldn’t even have been the first movie to borrow the trope.

Also, this version of the movie was basically a played-straight version of Blazing Saddles.

This entry was posted in Hatboy's Movie Extravaganza and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Again)

Sometimes I can’t figure out you and movies, my brother. To avoid another “Edge of Tomorrow” disaster, I’ll leave it at that XD

You liked Order of the Phoenix?

As a kid’s movie, and coming from a fan of the series? Sure. Different standard for me.

I did actually think as I was watching it, “you definitely get way more out of this if you just read, or are very familiar with, the book.” It seemed to cut a lot of corners and skip through bits that the book covered, and that was fine. I guess by movie #6 they’re not really needing to cater to the non-readers. It would be lost on them, which could be argued as a positive.

Think of it like all the times I tried to explain to you what I didn’t like about this-or-that Dr. Who episode. Actually, now that I write that, *I* need to also think of it like that! XD

“Also”? A little bit hurt that I’m once again not getting very hard-earned credit here.

Didn’t mean that to sound as harsh as it did, I mean that you don’t need to remember to do this either, you already do it plenty. I think I’ll quit the Internet while I’m … ahead?

Yeah. I went home sick today at noon, I think let’s just chalk this whole thing up as a loss and start on something new tomorrow. LOL =/