0.5

“Tinny and Glandad” leave for Singapore tonight, after a final flurry of yard work and moderately irritating lectures. Fortunately I’m pushing 40 at this stage, and couldn’t actually tell you the content of any of the lectures in any detail. My tuning-out ability has reached maximum levels on topics about which I’ve decided my parents can teach me nothing.

There are plenty of other topics, however, so for that reason I’m always glad to have them come to visit.

Maybe next time, I can convince them to come for a week, then do their while-we’re-here side-trip or cruise, then come through for another week. Two weeks straight of them in my house, blocking my office, getting all up in my routine, is too much.

As my dad keeps saying, of course, every trip out here could be their last. I’m not going to start believing that for another 5-7 years, but I guess it’s important to them. And they had fun with the girls. So that was good.

18 Responses to 0.5

Took me a few seconds to figure out the “0.5”. 🙂

Singapore as a crossover flight location seems kinda risky. At least from what I know about Singapore. Ahh well, what’s the worst that could happen?

*blink*

Really? Singapore is lovely. We stop there most times we fly to and from Australia. Hot and sweaty as a bastard, but otherwise great. Just … you know, don’t try to smuggle drugs through that motherfucker.

Or chewing gum…or anything else silly they’ve classified as illegal?

No … generally as long as you steer clear of drug runners, you’ll be fine.

If it’s this sort of stuff you’re worried about:

I wouldn’t be. 16 years of experience has taught me that it’s mostly bullshit.

“If it’s this sort of stuff you’re worried about:

I wouldn’t be. 16 years of experience has taught me that it’s mostly bullshit.”

Oh sir, no, you wound me. I wouldn’t rely on a buzzfeed-sort of article to inform me about anything real. I do realize every country has silly laws on its books…though if they are enforced then they’re not so silly, right?

Aside from the caning news stories now and then, I’m mostly informed by this:

Authoritarian, uninterrupted single-party state for the past 50 years. Among other issues.

When you say you stop there, do you mean you actually visited for periods of days, or just wandered around near the airport? Just curious about the level of experience.

Oh, only ever been there for a day or two, same as my parents are this time around. Like I say, it’s a stopover point on the way to Perth.

All I can tell you is that I would have absolutely no problem staying there, except for the damnable heat. But then I’m not in the habit of spitting in the street, exposing myself, or singing obscene songs. I think most of the “laws” you’re referring to are a simple matter of decorum and respect, it’s not exactly authoritarian.

And let’s all agree that we all live in glass houses when it comes to the shitty state of democracy in our countries. Some glass may or may not be thinner than others, but I’m not going to get into that with you. You want to be worried about Singapore, sir, you go ahead and be worried.

Also, the airport is beautiful. The guys with machine guns made me feel safer, rather than scared. You want scared, you should’ve seen me at LAX in 2000.

Hey, fair enough…and I’m not worried about Singapore. Haven’t ever really been. Because I’m never going there XD

And all three billion of them will cry themselves to sleep over that. On Thursday, which is the day they’re allowed to sleep. Anyone caught dozing on a Wednesday … you’d better believe that’s a paddlin’.

Three billion? I think your population count in Singapore is as accurate as your information on crime and punishment XD

Sorry, I meant three trillion.

*Dr. Evil pinkie*

Aaron, the pirates prowl the seas, not the skies! Although airborne pirates — preferably on steampowered dirigibles — would be cool. Also, stop watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3!