Tuesday on the Internet

Here are some things I learned today.

John Oliver talked auto lending:

Apparently a two-hour public transport commute for a fifteen-minute car drive is unusual. In Finland, we call that “seutulippu“.

ComicBookGirl19 had a bit to say about Suicide Squad:

None of it good. I think she might be being a bit of a drama queen here actually.

Mrs. Hatboy and I saw a trailer for a movie called The Lobster, which looks amazing.

And there was some sort of fan-made teaser for a Firefly animated series, which absolutely has to happen.

Shiny.

This entry was posted in Hatboy's Movie Extravaganza, Hatboy's Nuggets of Crispy-Fried Wisdom, Kussa mun hopoti?, Office Posts, Random and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Tuesday on the Internet

The Lobster is really good.

The Lobster looks great.

Maybe I’m a snob, but to me, going from live action to animation (or comics) is a demotion. It sort of lessens the reality of the characters and the world.

I’m trying to think of a case I have seen, but the only one I can think of was the Star Trek Original Series animated adventures, and they were really pretty cool. I mean, they could do more in cartoon form than they could with practical (let alone CGI) effects back in the ’60s.

And if it’s a choice between this and more nothin’, then let me think. Carry the nothin’…

Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels come to mind as recent examples on the animation arena. Both are actually quite good, but I’d totally rather have them as live-action. I clearly have a problem mapping the live-action characters to their animated counterparts — thinking of them as the same people — because animation creates such a disconnect. The animated versions of the characters and the world just do not feel real enough in comparison, not equally canon.

Firefly is way more gritty than Star Wars, so I like the idea of animation even less. (Not that you can’t do gritty in animation, but it’s obviously visually not the same as in live action.) And the drawing style in that Firefly animated series looks just awful (and cheap). Kiddy stuff.

Of course, I don’t have to watch it.

Ah yeah, the Star Wars stuff – haven’t seen that myself but I guess I don’t have the same problem. I sort of filter it in my head, since I know that live action versions of all those shows is not going to happen, so I make do with what there is.

I guess not watching it is your only recourse. I doubt this animated series is going to happen anyway, and certainly if it doesn’t at least have the right actors doing the voices (and, you know, Whedon writing) I am not going to accept it as canon, or any sort of acceptable substitute … the actual medium of the story is a distant lower priority.

Cool stuff! And yeah, “existential crisis” ==> being drama queen…haven’t seen either the movie OR her youtube video yet but YA THINK? XD