Friday. Only this and nothing more.

Another fun and busy week rolls to an end. I parked the car in Itis yesterday (always a chore to make me shriek with rage), and took the metro into Helsinki to catch up with Mr. dreameling. We exchanged notes on our respective first months at our new workplaces, and enjoyed a drink.

Then I took the metro back to Itis, tracked down my car, and went home.

Watched the end of Game of Thrones season 6 with the BRKNs and the family, and have started watching Avatar (the Last Airbender anime) with Wump.

Already beginning to feel the “start writing book 8” tension.

18 Responses to Friday. Only this and nothing more.

Please tell me you’d already seen the last episode when we had that drink. I totally got the impression you had, because we talked about the details. If not, I completely spoiled bits for you.

2. I’ll be all nitpicky and remark that since you used the word “watch”, I’m assuming you meant anime, not manga. Manga would be the comics.

• Actually, I’m pretty sure that it’s not even nitpicky to say so. I mean, I understood what you meant, and if you’re not into Japanese art, you wouldn’t necessarily distinguish the two terms, but I’m sure it offends a whole host of people to mix them up.

*sigh*

No, not a nitpick. I was thinking anime, but I wrote manga. I classify this as a typo.

• I didn’t mean to sound harsh. I wrote nitpick because I was thinking that it was a typo and therefore not a big deal. Then I stepped back and got to thinking that it’s all kinds of a wrong word to use, so this was me correcting myself more than me coming down on you about using a wrong word.

Now I’m stepping even further back and wondering if it’s really so very right to use the word “anime” despite its widespread use. Not entirely sure but I think that the word anime means just “animation” in Japanese, so any animation would be “anime” if you were talking in Japanese. I think it’s mostly the American/European culture that has adopted the Japanese word to characterise a certain type of animated art. (I mean, anime has some very distinctive features, art-wise especially.) I’m not sure, though, maybe the Japanese are okay with this terminology, and maybe they’re even using it themselves, and maybe the Japanese terminology is more complex than I know. Gah.

Sorry, tangent. I’ll go do some research instead of theorising here.

It’s actually an American cartoon, which I didn’t know.

“The show combines the styles of anime and American cartoons, and relies on the imagery of various East Asian, Inuit, Southeast Asian, South Asian, and New World societies. Therefore, whether or not the series can be considered as an anime work is often discussed.”

Either way, “manga” was the wrong word. But I can’t possibly give less of a fuck about anyone being offended by this lapse. It’s like people who get offended when I say “comic book” instead of “graphic novel.” I just have to hope that I offend them to death before they manage to breed, thus slowly strengthening the species.

And I did mean to sound harsh, but not against you. I wasn’t taking the correction personally, it was an entirely justified correction … just not a terribly important one in my opinion. I’ll just call it a cartoon from now on.

• Well as to the original terminology question (and setting aside the complex art style discussion that I brought up when starting to talk about the term anime)… I think that between manga and anime, the distinction is exactly as clear as the distinction between comic book and animation, and the correction is not only justified but important. Not that it’d be worth anybody getting OFFENDED over. Maybe “ridiculed for mixing up your terminology” like if you said carrot when you meant apple, but getting butthurt would be a serious overreaction.

To be honest, I have never actually come across the “comic book” vs. “graphic novel” controversy, but it sounds like an amusing one. I guess “comic” is an unfortunate relic from the era of comic strips that were indeed just comedy, but eh, people have been using the term and the related terms comic book, comics, etc. for generic “a sequence of drawings that tell a story” for so long that it’s perfectly acceptable as a generic term, in my opinion.

I’m glad Finnish has the one word that covers all the variations.

Well let’s not go nuts, it’s actually more like a very specific variety of carrot, with a different name for when it’s moving and when it’s standing still, and I had a brain fart and used the standing-still name for it when I meant the moving name, when in fact the thing in question wasn’t a carrot, but a pumpkin that had been carved into the approximate shape of a carrot.

• thelinza says:

el televisor. la televisora.

Wingardum televisiosa.

3. thelinza says:

It’s televisOra, not televisoRA.

But seriously the gender of the Spanish noun for TV changes based on if the TV is switched on or switched off. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.

4. Jim says:

I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours
    today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before. http://www.yahoo.net

Thanks Jim, I only wish I could believe you but your bot put this message on one of the most boring and pointless posts I’ve made in recent weeks, and I’ve made a lot of them.

5. bokep sex says:

Hi there, every time i used to check website posts here early in the break of day, because i enjoy to gain knowledge of more and more.