Sunday metrics

The metrics are looking good.

metrics (21)

See? Still almost following the Molran curve.

I’m onto the sixth chapter of Part Three and I estimate there are eight still to write, but they’re pretty short ones and they’re mostly mapped out already. With any luck I’ll get some mornings this week to get some done.

That’s all for now.

This entry was posted in Astro Tramp 400, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Sunday metrics

1. *cheers you on*

I hope you get your writerly mornings. Do you do it with a cup of coffee? I love doing the writing in the morning with a cup of coffee.

Well, I sure ain’t getting up at 04:00am to write for three hours without coffee. 😀

I have this amazing coffee grinder and aeropress system now, which makes a great double/triple espresso, or I can cop out and add milk to it and just sip it. I’ve quit using sugar in my coffee in the past week, but I’m not quite ready to go hardcore yet.

2. Oooh sounds high tech! Compared to my “system” at any rate. I grind my coffee beans very much manually and use a tin pot to boil the water. 😀 Very old school. But I prefer plain coffee with milk, and I find the whole process relaxing.

Yeah, I got a hand grinder for my birthday, so I can finally use proper beans (not that the Mundo Fairtrade I normally buy for the filter machine is terrible[1]). I grind 2-3 cups’-worth at a time, a couple of scoops go into this tiny filter thing and the filter goes on top of the cup, then a couple of shots of hot water go into the reservoir and then it gets pressed down with an air-pocket.

[1] Mind you, I am hardly a coffee snob. The filter brews I make usually fill a thermos with 8-10 cups, and I drink those cold over the course of a week or so. Then make a new brew when the thermos is empty. That’s how I roll.

• He heh, I’m not a coffee snob either but I’ll admit that what comes to coffee, nothing really beats fresh ground beans! Especially if you grind the beans yourself.

(As I didn’t drink coffee at all prior to my thirtieth birthday, I feel weird having this conversation.)

• No, wait, I was probably closer to 28 when I started drinking coffee. I blame one poorly slept night and an all-day workshop.

I drank instant coffee (and triple-caffeine cola, and caffeine tablets…) through my university years. Instant coffee was basically what we had at home, my parents moved on to plunger coffee in the late 90s but I rarely bothered with it.

I only started drinking real coffee when I came to Finland at the ripe old age of 22. This was following maybe six months of cold-turkey as I realised my caffeine addiction was really not cool, and decided to check myself before I wrecked myself. So it was nice to start again with the real thing.

Since then, I’ve done my best to keep it to about a cup a day, but I definitely notice when I go without. Or, sadly, my wife and kids notice.

• I’m sorry this is probably because I’ve been working on an adventure story all week but my brain went to, “Chucky Jones and the Curse of the Caffeine Tablets”.

I rarely drink even filter coffee anymore, though I used to at work. I also like to make sure I don’t develop an addiction so I’m regularly completely without and limit my coffee to a few cups in the mornings. I’m glad to say I don’t really notice a difference… except that my tolerance has grown so I’m no longer completely hyperactive after consuming a single cup, like I used to be.

And now I’m thinking, “what if Bridget Jones, Jessica Jones and Indiana Jones were all members of the same family and they all met at a family reunion?”

And now I’m super-distracted.

• If there’s no fanfiction about this yet, there should be.

Aaaaand we come full-circle.

“All I have to do is squeeze.”
        “All I have to do is scream.”

“Wait, he gets away with that shit but I don’t? She’s not even a mutant for fuck’s sake!”

• And let’s not even get started on the emotional strangling of Jessica Jones.

Killgrave was all about male privilege.

• Yes, he was. And very progressive as a male villain, not because he wasn’t a dick just like most of them, but because he owned the dickness and Jessica kicked his butt for it on her own. I almost wish they’d have done the kind of billboard of her as they did of Mystique. That’d have been truly a courageous move on the studio’s part, although the shitstorm would probably have been even worse.

• Sorry to take this tangent, but I had to come back to add that I’m amused over how I actually called the male villain progressive because of the female hero managing to handle him on her own, as if that’s his quality and not hers. I meant to refer to how he is portrayed as owning the male privilege thinking in such a way that you just can’t miss it (or so I think) in comparison to how (I feel like) it’s more commonly portrayed. Usually, you get a mere, “ooh, here’s an evil guy who is mean to little kids and women”. Killgrave makes an obvious and honest show of the creep mindset, “this guy really just wants exactly what a stereotypical man expects to get from a woman, and wow it’s ugly watching him try to make her give it to him”. Jessica is never really a victim as much as someone he desperately wants to control. I feel it’s more usual that the villain is simply shown whisking the girl away to the proverbial tower from which the guy needs to come get her, rendering the woman a mere object to be won over or lost. Killgrave does objectify her completely just like any stereotypical villain, but, the way he is shown doing it, I feel like you can’t help seeing the objectification.

Aah, sorry, tangent! I just enjoyed this series so very much. Killgrave was an intriguing villain, and Jessica a refreshing heroine.

Well well, that is a tangent.

I always thought of Killgrave’s story (with due consideration for the fact that I am talking only about the TV series here, I have no experience with the comic) as one of male privilege turned to 11.

Killgrave asked for something, and received it without effort. Just as men, in the male privilege concept, receive things they want with far less effort than women.

Equally, it occurs for him in a vacuum, with no context or education. So he grows up thinking he gets what he wants simply because it is right. And anyone who complains about it is just wrong, because he can make them say they’re wrong. He’s without doubt an evil man, but it is because he is id uncontrolled by super-ego. Gratification untempered by cultural or social exchange or compromise. It’s a very interesting thing to see: he’s absolutely despicable, but he has absolutely no idea.

And part of you (or me at least, and I assume you) wonders how much of that is everybody else’s fault.

• Yes. To me, it was eerie to see him on screen because I’ve spent a lot of time writing about a very similar character. (Mine, well, nothing to do with male privilege or this male-female thing we’re discussing here.) Needless to say, seeing this on screen made me feel like my Big Story was a whole lot less important, since it was already so damned well made. Haha.

Ugh, but I try to leave the tangent at this.

YOU SHOULD BE SORRY