#greymaleprivilege

Day 48. Word count suspended for the day.

Not a lot going on right now, might get some writing time while Toop is asleep but it depends if Mrs. Hatboy gets back from her farewell to the Jakomäki school she’s been teaching at this year, and has made a series of brilliant decisions in terms of its faculty for the up-coming year. Anyway. I’ll just get this down now.

I was also going to talk about the billboard poster thing (for the hopefully overwhelming majority of people who missed it, Fox put up a billboard advertising the new X-Men movie and a bunch of fucking morons cried because the bad guy was holding the good guy by the throat, and the good guy was a woman so HOLY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN NORMALISATION IN SOCIETY TRIGGER WARNING BATMAN).

x-mäntti (1)

And in this poster, Wolverine is clearly checking out Mystique’s boob. Fuck it. Fuck off, Internet. Just fuck the fuck off.

x-mäntti (2)

“I wonder if doing this will send a negative message? Maybe I should also change my name to Boundaries-Respectalypse.”

facebook163

And … scene.
That was cathartic.

But this annoying, discouraging incident made me think of the furore going on about the new James Bond.

See, they’re almost certainly going with a white male, my hopes are on Hiddleston. Idris Elba was discussed, because he always is. He could have made a good Bond. But whatever. I’m fine with keeping his representation moderately consistent. Bond’s, that is. Not Elba’s. His consistency is already shot to Hell, and I love it.

But Gillian Anderson was suggested. Which is interesting, and I would certainly love to see her in more roles. Expand on her character in The Fall, or give her a backstory to Helen Mirren’s character in Red. Or, and this would be fucking amazing, a film / TV adaptation of Angelmaker, or a prequel thereof, with Anderson as Edie. Wow.

My point is, why not something new, something she can own rather than steal? Cultural appropriation isn’t just a thing when the majority does it to the minority, although of course it’s a less acceptable practice in that case. That’s just a matter of the difference between a poor villager stealing from a rich crook and a rich crook stealing from a poor villager. Not that all metaphorical rich people are crooks, but something something, benefit from the system.

I get that there are way fewer female heroes and characters than male omes, so I understand why there would be a bigger uproar if, say, the Black Panther was re-cast as a white guy or Ripley was re-cast as a man. We don’t need another hero, as Tina Turner once said.

But isn’t this a bit of a case of making new stuff to balance the books, rather than taking stuff from one area of culture and plonking it in another pile and saying “justice is served”? I know there are more positive ways to look at it than to assume there’s been a theft. It’s an enhancement that happens to include women. It would probably be fine (although would Anderson be allowed to be beaten up and tortured? Have her genitals mutilated like Craig did? Yeah, survey says Not Fucking Likely). Imagination and creation, despite what the Hollywood Sequel and Reboot Machine would have us believe, is not a limited resource. Instead of continuing, remaking or recasting an old thing, make whole new things!

I do sort of see how giving a switcheroo to a character, be it racial or gender or whatever, can inject life into something in dire need of modernisation and make it more interesting, even if it is a bit of a blow to continuity.

In some senses it undermines the character. In others, strengthens it.

Screw it, I don’t have the time or energy to give this proper treatment. I still have to think about why I was so annoyed by the whole billboard thing.

I think what annoyed me most was that some celebrity cried about it, saying “imagine the uproar if a black guy was being choked by a white guy”. Um, if it’s a bad guy doing something evil to the good guy, you’d better believe those posters exist. You think Amistad and 12 Years a Slave don’t have posters of terrible things being done to black guys?

amistad

Survey says “Fuck You, You Fucking Crybabies.” The survey’s got a bit of a potty mouth.

The only reasonable objection I’ve seen so far is from Cat, on the grounds that the poster shows something that doesn’t really happen in the movie (except, as you can see above, it sort of does), or isn’t central to the movie (but if that is a crime, just about every movie poster ever made needs to face sentencing).

So there you go.

This entry was posted in Hatboy's Movie Extravaganza and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to #greymaleprivilege

I’m so glad I’m not on Facebook or Twitter or really any other social media where crap internet drama like this might affect my day. Well, you know, apart from this blog. I was having a nice Saturday! Now I’m mildly annoyed at (online) humanity. Thanks, Obama! [1]

I can’t believe the inconsequential shit people get upset about… Although why it’s still surprising after all these years of bewildering internet outrage machine behavior, I can’t say.

And this is so not male privilege blindness.

[1] Did I use that, right?

2. isn’t central to the movie (but if that is a crime, just about every movie poster ever made needs to face sentencing)

Let’s not exaggerate, it isn’t every movie poster ever made. But yes, many, many, many (manymany) movie posters do need some proper sentencing on these grounds! You don’t want to get me started. 😀 It’s a pet peeve of mine.

Well, that’s why I said “just about”.

• I haven’t made enough comparisons to dare claim a statistic even as far as “just about every”, but fair enough.

I guess that depends on just how forgiving or unforgiving one decides to be about any given poster, which is an entirely subjective matter. “That man didn’t stand in that pose with the name of the movie in that text flying over his head” … see, the “this doesn’t represent what happens in the movie” argument can basically apply to any poster, if you decide to be sufficiently literalist and stupid about it. Of course the poster text doesn’t count as part of the promise. To us. But you can take any and every element from a poster or billboard, and pick it apart to your heart’s content. And the general populace can’t be expected to cater to the people who do that, can we?

Not saying you are doing this, obviously. I’m just defending my daring claim of “just about every”.

• I’ll acknowledge by saying: there is an impressive amount of excellent essays waiting to be written in the comment trails in your blog. It’s a cop-out to say so, but I feel like this is something that needs to be discussed in a paper rather than the space of a comment. Sorry. 😀

Nits and picks aside, I agree that it’s a subject in which preferences and interpretation play a huge role.

I like to think my blog has a comments section in the very highest fraction of a percentile of comments sections, in terms of intelligence and civility.

• Truer words were never spoken. It is a first class comment section. I feel like I could drop a political essay here and nobody would even blink.

Somebody would tear it apart and point out all the typos, but never blink.

• It’d be a much longer conversation (and I could back up my choice of words) but yes it was a friends only discussion and I’d like to keep it out of blogosphere.

Done and done. My apologies.

To be fair, a lot of movie posters are amalgamations to show characters and key events, they don’t show actual scenes from the movies. What annoys me most is when scenes from the trailer don’t happen in the movie.

• At the same time, I also hate it when a film is completely ruined by showing too much story in trailers (or promo shots though that happens less, I think) so it’s a delicate, delicate balance. I hear there are people trained for years to get it right. Then I see this mess and think, Oh dear.

I like reading blogs from The Voice of Reason. Well said, man. Eh, except for these bits:
    “I get that there are way fewer female heroes and characters than male omes, ”

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….

“Have her genitals mutilated like Craig did?”

“Mutilated” is a bit extreme…last time I checked[1], they still seemed to satisfy the ladies. It was just a little ball smashing. Puts hair on chest.

[1] Or I could also say “Last time I’ll check” because Spectre was so fucking below my low, low expectations, the only reason I’d watch another Bond film is if Idris Elba is Bond.[2]

[2] Therefore, back to your point: Shit! You mean Idris Elba is NOT going to be the next Bond? Goddamnit why the fuck not? [3]

[3] Actually never mind, just one less pop movie series I have to give a shit about. Carry on, idiots that make the Bond movies.

“I get that there are way fewer female heroes and characters than male omes, ”

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….

Dang it!

“Have her genitals mutilated like Craig did?”

Yeah, he recovered ridiculously easily from a torture session that I can guarantee you first-hand (based on the two tiny, very careful nicks and the very mild infection I suffered) would have neutered him in one, maybe two hits. I still doubt they’d let Anderson undergo something similar, no matter how fast she recovers.

Well, now here’s where I have to point out that since yes, indeed, he recovered insanely quickly if indeed he were ball-smashed several times (I can tell you I need not your first-hand experience…I’ve gotten pain and queasiness just from adjusting my 2 bits too aggressively in tight pants!) that makes me wonder….

We didn’t actually SEE his balls getting hit. We supplied that ourselves based on what we *could* see. What if his spy training taught him how to use his testicular muscles to curl them right up into his body in such an event, and all that really happened were some inner-thigh strikes and perhaps ball-grazing?

I mean, we do know about shrinkage…and I can make my balls go up on demand…. Ooh, was that too much information? XD

Yeah, nah, I feel pretty safe assuming that seatless chair was meant to expose his balls, and his balls were meant to get whacked in that scene. But I really don’t get the point of debating it, so you interpret as you wish.

Man, I even read the book of this one but I can’t remember a damn thing about it.

Not really debating so much as trying to amuse.

Well it does explain how he managed to laugh it off and make fun of LeChiffre all the while.

*floop*
        *thigh-whack*
        *flop*
        Missed!

You might even say LeChiffre was playing Whack-A- … *Mole*?

*pinky*

LOL and how about a “my balls are fully retracted by the way”… *LeChiffre looks down under chair at his cock-n-balls-n-asshole* “MADE YOU LOOK!!!!!”

If only 007 farted, that would be the time to do it.

LOL perhaps his farts wouldn’t stink, either, though. But maybe once again, comprehensive spy training might give him control over even his intestinal byproducts….

Evidence suggests his farts smell like the cologne of the father of whichever girl he’s trying to bang. That’s how he gets them, it’s Electra Complex all the way.

Bear with me, I’m bringing this thread home to Marvel comics reference-town.

That actually makes a lot of sense! It’s surely not his personal charm that opens their legs, and I think we’re all adults here and realize that most women who don’t troll bars won’t just put out for a hot body and steely blue eyes.

4. Pingback: X-Men Apocalypse: A Review | Hatboy's Hatstand