Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!

Editing, editing, editing. First day of writing full-time without (theoretically) any distracting bullcrap. By which I mean, uh, work I guess.

I’m not getting up at ungodly hours of the morning anymore, so that cuts a big wedge of time off my day. Also trimming away an hour or so[1] I accompanied Wump to daycare this morning, carrying Toop on my shoulders and pushing Wump on her bicycle up some of the hills. It was a decent workout, but a bit ill-conceived due to the chilliness of the wind and the relative absence of sun this morning. I thought it would be warmer.

[1] But this is something I have to give an hour or so to each day, actual physical movement and exercise. So it has to be baked into my schedule.

It was all a bit sad actually, I was cranky and Wump was unhappy about the whole thing and eventually tearfully said that she hadn’t wanted to go on the bicycle, but that she hadn’t wanted to pettää (disappoint me / let me down). That hurt to hear, and I told her I was sorry if I’d pressured her. I’d really thought it was going to be nicer outside, and she’d been so excited to cycle before now. She needs to practice so we can get those training wheels off!

I think disappointment over not seeing any tadpoles in the ditches today (it was too shadowy and I think they were all still asleep) added to her unhappiness. In the end, I told her that if she really didn’t want to go on the bike and would prefer to take the car to daycare, she should of course tell me and I will listen to her. In this case, I’d genuinely thought it was going to be more fun. I don’t think I could do anything different, and I hope it got through to her.

Still, I started the day disappointed in myself, which is always a motivation killer.

I got started by about 09:00am, though, which isn’t bad. Only just got around to writing anything for the blog, and I’m afraid it’s another boring one. Shit, but the last week or so (since the Helatorstai-sickness-movies-weekend-work’s-end doldrums) has just been a crap one for my metrics.

metrics (19)

See? Look at how I started out, and look at how Fergunakil is eating into my lead. Like some sort of … big … hungry … eating … fish thing.

Alright! I’m working on it!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!

Ugh man, sorry to hear all of this. Kids do tend to change their mind like that, of course, even when they are initially excited about something. But you’re a great dad, I’m sure you handled it awesomely.

That said, stay the FUCK away from the tadpoles, murderer! Don’t think for a second that any of us have forgotten your track record. #neverforget #tadpolegate

Wait a second, did you KILL the tadpoles in the rain barrel?

I never put tadpoles in the rain barrel.

• brknwntr says:

I vividly recall your daughter excitedly showing me tadpoles in a container under your downspout.

You’re thinking of the shallow dark-blue basin thing that we last put tadpoles in, with a rock and some leaves and stuff. It was too broad and shallow, they didn’t do well and so I let them go (with Wump’s blessing) before we went away to Australia last summer.

The year before that, we had them in a big novelty wine glass but the surface area turned out to be too small. That is the one I was referring to, where many of them died (we also caught them too young) and only a few survived to “evolve” into larger tadpoles.

“Also, you know your bitching about this book having flatlined, at the same word count where your other books were finished…….”

I know, check out Chatty Cathy over here with her Robert Jordanesque books. Please, tell us more about the clothing!

Actually, I was going to make an indignant remark about this, but in terms of actual chronological in-story time, the last few books totally go Jordan. They’re only a few days long.

• brknwntr says:

I would appreciate more clothing descriptions actually, it would make costume designing much easier.

None of my books were finished at 50,000 words.

I can illustrate in graphical format how my book has not flatlined at the point where my other books finished.

Oh you and your graphs and numbers! What matters is how brkn and I FEEL about it!

What I’m hearing is that you and BRKN only want the first 50,000 words of the next book to edit. Maybe you can get 25,000 words each.

That’s actually my bad I was reading book 4’s graph. My deepest apologies, carry on.