The Wine Post

The other day, my parents sent me this interesting news story about winemaker Tim Shand over in Punt Road winery in the Yarra Valley, Victoria. That’s the state in Australia where Melbourne is, for you foreigners.

The fun part about this is, Tim is an old friend of mine from school. Yes, 2016 is definitely the year of Old Scotch Collegians hitting the headlines. Tim has been interested – indeed, passionate – about wine for a long time, and was always in a league of his own when it came to that sort of classy stuff. Me, I’m a “funny label” kind of guy myself.

So I always knew he’d do well, and this new Noir he’s developed “from stressed vines heavily infested with phylloxera, fermented half of the fruit with a pure strain of Brettanomyces, and hot-smoked some of the bunches in an old rubbish bin over smouldering oak chips before fermentation” … pure genius.

I sadly haven’t seen or heard much of Tim since he moved to Victoria and I moved to Finland, but it was delightful to have this means of getting back in touch.

Edpool reached out on Twitter, but only reached the winery.

punt_road_twitter

People skills.

Anyway, after this, my parents were able to contact Tim himself, and he promised to send them some bottles of the 2015 Airlie Bank Noir so they could bring them over. And I’m calling it.

This is officially the classiest this blog has ever, and will ever be.

This entry was posted in Edpool and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Wine Post

Your parents seem to know a lot of awesome people named “Tim”. That is, if you may call him…Tim?

Who else …? Oh, you mean my dad knowing Tim Minchin’s dad? I guess that counts.

This is my Tim, though. Not theirs. I’ll add him to my Tim collection, with Timo.

Aww he never actually met that damn g-i-n-g-e-r? My bad. And Timo…ok, granted. I’ll allow it.

Tim Minchin really is awesome.

And I totally count as a “Tim”. In upper primary school, my posh and very Dame-like English teacher — impeccable RP accent and lovable hoity-toity manners — nicknamed me Tim-Tim. So it’s totally official. (My friends got more imaginative or just weird nicknames, btw.) Not sure how awesome I’m yet, though, since not famous, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

*resists saying Rim-Tim-Tim*

Oh shit, too late.

By my count, that’s funny on at least two levels. Good one.

Thanks, man. LOL

Although I just realized that Cat might see this and…oh fuck…what have I done? Maybe she doesn’t do dirty cartoons…. We could be safe.

Didn’t take use long to take this post into a different kind of classy, now did it?

We’re awesome.

I blame Deadpool. I used to be such a gentleman until I saw that movie.