Interlude: 990

This is my 990th blog post, and I have 15 days left until my line-in-the-sand deadline (or deadline-in-the-sand) for Molran’s first draft. I have a sneaking suspicion I may not make it. So much to do lately and so stressed out that things just aren’t happening. Plus, as proud as I have been about the consistent non-bloat size of my first five books, this one looks like it’s going to be bigger. The early chapters were too big, too many. Maybe they can be cut but that will be sad.

Up to the editors.

I wanted to finish Molran for post #1000, but short of a solid week with absolutely nothing to do but write, eat, and sleep, that’s definitely not going to happen.

Danged if I know what I’m going to do for the millennium, either. I get the idea it should be something pretty damn special but I have no ideas. Maybe an Edpool- / Witty-Retort-hosted Oscars-esque retrospective on the last thousand posts…

Yes, that has potential.

To be continued.

This entry was posted in Edpool and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Interlude: 990

1. Looking forward to what you’ll come up with for the millennium post! There may be a small catty 😉 gift in the horizon to commemorate the event.

As to the book size, I think that with most series, the book size is likely to increase towards the end of the series. In the course of a series, you can generally toss those plots in there like ingredients in a big soup, but towards the end, it all needs to be stitched together. You can’t just go, “well I’ll get back to this in a later book”, you need to deal with it NOW. There’s just more material, more loose ends to tie up.

If it makes you feel any better, it’s a sure sign of an epic series. 🙂

Like, Like, Like, Likedy Like.

• Sometimes I think there really should be an option to double-Like things. Though I suppose it would escalate quickly, because where would be all the triple-quadruple-umpteenuple-Likes?

I need to remember to keep using my custom Likes.

I bet you could customize the Like button with your own replacement image.

I’m sure one could. I can take a look around but I’m not sure. Individual Likes on comments, for example, don’t even show up on my threads. But the button should be customisable.

• I was going to add that on second thoughts, I vastly prefer comments anyway, so anything that forces people into leaving actual words instead of random Likes is okay.

And then you inserted a graphic and showed me how silly I was.

A lazy Like is a good way to show that “I appreciated this comment and am not ignoring it because it made me mad or anything, but I have nothing more to add to it.”

Although actually saying those words is sometimes a better approach. But like I said, lazy.

So yeah, if you can make the lazy act of Liking a bit more interesting or relevant, that’s got to be worth doing.

I have a whole range:

Plus Thord:

And Z-Lin:

• I had a terrible urge to toss in a lazy Like here. 😀

Instead, I’m commenting to say that personally, I tend to use the Like as you described it, as a way of acknowledging posts that I appreciated but don’t have anything to add, or the time or brainspace to comment on — after all, a Like is always better than total silence — but partially, it’s also a response which one tends to pick up, I think. Especially when you see the trolltastic chaos to which comments can lead, it’s just easier to fall into Like with posts instead.