Sunday downer

Seriously, humanity. Just fuck you.

facebook155

This is me, literally unable to even.

Anyway, this was the story going around Facebook last week, and it was thoroughly enraging and depressing. Don’t worry, I’m going somewhere with this.

As you can see above, I was unable to hold onto the topic and all too gladly turned it into a “suck it, David Brin” thread, which was amusing for a while. But still, the idea that a bunch of morons wanted to take selfies with a dolphin and it died as a result … people are shit, right?

Not really.

Seems the dolphin was already dead, and the people were just being morbid fucks.

Or take it from Snopes. I guess it all comes down to what you want to believe, and people are never as one-dimensionally good or evil as we want them to be.

Except David Brin. Suck it, Brin.

Endnote: Seriously though, David Brin is awesome. Now I have to dig up that series of his again and add it to my reading list.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Hatboy's Nuggets of Crispy-Fried Wisdom and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sunday downer

I dunno I saw the video of it in the water and it looked alive to me…but who can really say? Either way I think a “fuck you” to all the humans involved there is still in order. This reminded me of all the mob scenes (think lynching and the like) I’ve seen in movies where they play around with the corpse after. Especially if they actually did kill it, which I think they did based on what I’ve seen.

Well, whether or not the dolphin there was dead, this shark sure as shit wasn’t. So I remain pegged at “fuck humans, we suck”

So I’m with them on the final analysis there.

“Mind you, I have less sympathy for sharks (although dolphins are evil too), and also you can eat them. So why didn’t they do that?”

Probably because they weren’t fishing, they were just having fun on the beach and decided this beaching shark would be a cool source of entertainment.

I have the same sympathy for all living creatures, tailoring my treatment of them to how they are treating me, as much as possible. For example, I don’t kill all bees I see around my house. But if there’s a nest on the house, posing a risk to my kids, or if they sting me, sure…dead meat.

Similarly, a shark isn’t as cute as a cuttlefish, but I wouldn’t harm either unless in self-defense. The main difference being the likelihood of the need for such self-defense.

“So I’m with them on the final analysis there.”

Right, and I do admit they recognized pretty late that this discussion had more nuance than they were giving it. To wit:

“To reiterate: I’m fine with fishing. Any sort of fishing / hunting where you put the animal back after catching it, is not fishing / hunting. It’s being a giant worthless fuck.”

Well, but what about catch-and-release? Really, you think those guys are giant worthless fucks? Many fishermen do that, at least when they are just fishing for relaxation. No need to kill the fish if you don’t need it.

The problem here, I think, is that this guy wasn’t fishing. He wasn’t catching and releasing. First of all, he didn’t just catch and release immediately, or right after one quick picture. He “caught” a troubled fish, and instead of returning it as one probably should do, he started wrangling it around, pinning it to the ground, leaning his weight into it, pulling its body straight, so on and so forth.

And then after all that, I think you didn’t notice…HE wasn’t the one who returned it. He just walked off! Some other guy came along and risked a few fingers to return it to the ocean.

That’s why this guy is a complete fuckwad, not even catching and releasing.

Nope, I’m calling it. Catch and release is not fishing, and if you do it you are a worthless fuck. You catch and hurt animals, you eat them. Ideally, you use the skin for something too. Otherwise, fuck you.

Wow, well ok. Nice to know your opinion on that. I won’t be catching and releasing anytime soon I guess.

What about when there are laws that you can’t keep a fish under a certain size? Damned if you do, damned if you don’t!

Yeah, that’s a real bummer when that sort of thing is unavoidable, especially when the little fish and stuff are the ones most likely to be traumatised and die from the shock. You can usually minimise it by using equipment that only a big fish will be able to come to grips with.

Either way, it’s not really the same as catch and release.

Damn, well you know more about fishing than I do! Very well, then!

“Don’t expect a whole lot of open-mindedness and compromise from me today, I’m operating on 30 hours without caffeine and counting.”

I will only comment publicly on this statement by saying “no comment”.