Night of the Living Deadpool: Prelude 2

Day 35. 114 pages, 53,912 words. Another shitty day yesterday.

Tomorrow, The Movie premieres here in Helsinki. It’s already out in Australia and probably a few other places and I am trying to avoid spoilers, but tomorrow is when we’re seeing it.

deadpool

Due warning.

And, you know, it’s already a classic. So who cares? At this point, the biggest risk is that it will be a bit dull because “seen this bit, saw that bit, know what happens in this bit, there’s still these bits to come.”

Still going to be awesome.

So, for a bit of a change of pace and a minor variation on the Star Wars Episode VII prediction-review I wrote, here are my predictions for how the Deadpool movie is going to go:

• Okay. This won’t be as good as it’s been hyped up to be and as far as expectations have been pumped. It can’t be. It will be better than Green Lantern (although I didn’t see that, I heard a lot about it and I think this will be objectively better), better than R.I.P.D. and better than Deadpool’s appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but it still won’t be transcendent and amazing.

• That said, I am still going to enjoy the Hell out of it. Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool.

• Wade will talk direct to camera. There’s a lot of expectation about him breaking the fourth wall here, but I don’t think it’s going to be too madly overdone. Just overdone enough.

• There’s a prediction that Stan Lee will be in the movie and that Deadpool will recognise him as Stan Lee. I don’t think that’s feasible given Fox’s ownership and Stan Lee’s rights regarding Deadpool, but never say never. He has been in Fox’s X-Men movies so why not? This would be brilliant but I’m not officially calling it.

• He will make a Monty Python’s Black Knight reference, though. That simply has to be done, considering the damage Deadpool can walk off.

• Related to the above, and possibly in the same scene, Deadpool will lose an entire actual limb and then re-grow it. Taking us beyond Wolverine’s movie appearances and answering that question once and for all.

• Deadpool’s version of the Wolverine Weapon X transformation process is going to be the grisliest thing in this movie. And also hilarious. Grislious.

• We already know that Ajax, Colossus, Negasonic, Weasel and Blind Al are in it. I’m calling that the main man behind the scenes of Deadpool’s creation, Killbrew (or possibly Killebrew, I remain unsure), is going to be an end-of-movie twist that they will save for the sequel, which has apparently already been green-lit.

• There’s going to be a Hellhouse, and Patch. Got to be. I would also accept T-Ray being in there, just to set him up for a sequel-villainhood. I’m not sure if they’ll have the balls to go for the “T-Ray is the real Wade Wilson and Deadpool is actually T-Ray” mind-fuck plot, but it could be fun to see. In this case, though, the trailers have given the impression that Wade’s girlfriend was not killed, and in fact is something of a co-protagonist through the film. This is Vanessa, not Mercedes. Mercedes could also be in the picture, a wife assumed dead before Wade ever meets Vanessa for the purposes of later movies. So. Let’s see.

That’s all for now.

This entry was posted in Hatboy's Movie Extravaganza and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Night of the Living Deadpool: Prelude 2

Shit he was in X-Men Origins: Wolverine? I’m pretty sure I saw that, it was in Japan or something for a lot of it, right? That movie? And I missed Deadpool? Fuck!

Also, I’m worried Deadpool is going to die. Please spoil me, I can’t sleep for the worry!

Well damn, looks like I have some watching to do. But seriously I don’t want to get into a superhero that’s just going to get killed off. I suppose this is a safe bet.

“You’re thinking of “The Wolverine”, which was the second stand-alone Wolverine movie. Deadpool wasn’t in that one. He was in the first one, the one that ended with the fight on Three Mile Island and the teleporting freak with the sewn-shut mouth.That was rebooted Deadpool.”

And fucking how! More like just “booted” Deadpool…I just saw the Wolverine Origins movie last night. Sir, it is a credit to you that you didn’t go shoot up the entire Marvel franchise staff of writers, directors, and producers after that bullshit.

I mean, Wade was decent at the start of the movie…not nearly polished enough, but pretty damn good. But what the FUCK were they trying to pull there with “The Pool…. Deadpool” at the end? They honestly thought they could get away with that shit? Completely disregard his origin, in EVERY detail, and just make him into Amalgam? Which would have been a much cooler and canonical name for that monstrosity.

Which, don’t get me wrong, should have been an X-men bad guy in the movies already. I like the concept, but trying to boot Deadpool as that thing? What the everfucking fuck?

I know, I’m late to this party by years. But surely, with some perspective. I heard there has long been a Fox executive who didn’t want to do Deadpool at all. Maybe this was his attempt to check the box and get it over and done with?

Apparently Deadpool supporters including Ryan Reynolds himself launched a charm offensive, including fully voiced video clips, to try and sell that one executive on Deadpool. I can’t remember now if he finally gave in (wise decision!), quit, or died, so that the movie could be made. And I won’t tell you which option I kinda hope is true, but I’ll say this: it’s the ironic one given the name “Deadpool”…. Ironical?

Anyway…glad I saw the Origins movie even though it was crap. Man, the Deadpool movie is just in a league of its own, far better than the other Marvel movies by a long shot.

Relevant to Deadpool not quite failing to happen (with thanks to Mr. BRKN for sharing this with me):

Way too little, way too late … but it happened. And that was just the start of it, Reynolds already told them right at the start that if they do the goofy eyes and swords and mouth and stuff, people are going to be pissed. And he was right.

I can’t believe they had that much almost-success with Amalgam (which is what I am calling him from now on), and never tried again. I mean, it worked basicalyl perfectly. All he had to do was teleport Wolverine or Sabertooth away from the other one, kill him, then go back again. How could he not beat them? All they have was healing factor, and in Wolverine’s case the adamantium, but Amalgam had that too. So decapitate. Got to be possible. And while Deadpool can technically survive that, I don’t know that (movie) Wolverine and Sabertooth could.

And combining mutant powers that way. If that’s a thing, no way would the military have stopped.

Terrible idea all ’round. But Amalgam. Amalgam, I like.

“It’s a long video, but the relevant part was where Reynolds tells the story of the “original” Deadpool in Origins. Apparently right after the test screening he got a callback from the execs saying “yeah, people are really mad about this, can you come back in and do a teaser scene?” – and that was where the end-credits Deadpool’s-head-opening-its-eyes thing came from. Sort of a never-say-never.”

Hmm, I would see that as more of an “Amalgam ain’t dead, suck it, bitches!” than “we’re going to do Deadpool right one day y’all we promise no frontin;”

No, I have no idea why I’m writing in that style.

“Bahaha! Well, I appreciate the fanboy-cred, but I have to say I wasn’t all that invested in Deadpool when the Origins movie came out. That was 2009, pre-cancer. I only got into Deadpool comics post-cancer, by weird coincidence.”

So you’re the foulest-weather fair-weather fan there is? This is what I’m hearing. LOL

“Absolutely agreed. That was during the big writer’s strike, he was essentially ad-libbing most of that.”

Oh, well that’s really impressive then! This guy IS Deadpool, then. I think I saw someone write something like that, somewhere. Probably Sargon or someone like that.

“Terrible idea all ’round. But Amalgam. Amalgam, I like.”

Thank you’ I’m here all week. Agreed on your analysis of the fight scene, too.

“I tend to agree, although (bizarrely) I didn’t hate the Origins movie. So many BSTs and whizzbangs. I’m easy that way.”

I know dude, I know. You’re so easy, you’re practically an Earth girl.

THAT MOVIE WAS GREAT TOO!

ObJeffGoldblum: “Well…there it is.”

You’re thinking of the one that starts with Hiroshima, and yes, that was most certainly in Japan and most certainly did not have Deadpool in it. Unless he was training in a nearby sumo academy.

Comic joke. Sorry.