Day 35. 114 pages, 53,912 words. Another shitty day yesterday.
Tomorrow, The Movie premieres here in Helsinki. It’s already out in Australia and probably a few other places and I am trying to avoid spoilers, but tomorrow is when we’re seeing it.
And, you know, it’s already a classic. So who cares? At this point, the biggest risk is that it will be a bit dull because “seen this bit, saw that bit, know what happens in this bit, there’s still these bits to come.”
Still going to be awesome.
So, for a bit of a change of pace and a minor variation on the Star Wars Episode VII prediction-review I wrote, here are my predictions for how the Deadpool movie is going to go:
- Okay. This won’t be as good as it’s been hyped up to be and as far as expectations have been pumped. It can’t be. It will be better than Green Lantern (although I didn’t see that, I heard a lot about it and I think this will be objectively better), better than R.I.P.D. and better than Deadpool’s appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but it still won’t be transcendent and amazing.
- That said, I am still going to enjoy the Hell out of it. Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool.
- Wade will talk direct to camera. There’s a lot of expectation about him breaking the fourth wall here, but I don’t think it’s going to be too madly overdone. Just overdone enough.
- There’s a prediction that Stan Lee will be in the movie and that Deadpool will recognise him as Stan Lee. I don’t think that’s feasible given Fox’s ownership and Stan Lee’s rights regarding Deadpool, but never say never. He has been in Fox’s X-Men movies so why not? This would be brilliant but I’m not officially calling it.
- He will make a Monty Python’s Black Knight reference, though. That simply has to be done, considering the damage Deadpool can walk off.
- Related to the above, and possibly in the same scene, Deadpool will lose an entire actual limb and then re-grow it. Taking us beyond Wolverine’s movie appearances and answering that question once and for all.
- Deadpool’s version of the Wolverine Weapon X transformation process is going to be the grisliest thing in this movie. And also hilarious. Grislious.
- We already know that Ajax, Colossus, Negasonic, Weasel and Blind Al are in it. I’m calling that the main man behind the scenes of Deadpool’s creation, Killbrew (or possibly Killebrew, I remain unsure), is going to be an end-of-movie twist that they will save for the sequel, which has apparently already been green-lit.
- There’s going to be a Hellhouse, and Patch. Got to be. I would also accept T-Ray being in there, just to set him up for a sequel-villainhood. I’m not sure if they’ll have the balls to go for the “T-Ray is the real Wade Wilson and Deadpool is actually T-Ray” mind-fuck plot, but it could be fun to see. In this case, though, the trailers have given the impression that Wade’s girlfriend was not killed, and in fact is something of a co-protagonist through the film. This is Vanessa, not Mercedes. Mercedes could also be in the picture, a wife assumed dead before Wade ever meets Vanessa for the purposes of later movies. So. Let’s see.
That’s all for now.