Another Tuesday

I’m a bit burned out after yesterday’s post. Plus, as you can see, I only got a chance to write a couple of hundred words. So I’ll focus on that today.

In the meantime, I’m getting about an equal measure of news about “that star which has the anomalous cloud of debris around it or maybe a giant alien megastructure”, and “we all loved Bernie Sanders last week but now we’ve decided we don’t and anyone who still does is a giant poo”.

I’ll let you guess which story I’m more interested in. Yeah, it’s probably just a mess of rocks and in any case it’s a fourteen hundred light years away, but even the fact that we can see it is freaking cool. We’re looking at something that, natural or artificial, was actually orbiting that star in the Sixth Century AD. Just imagine what else there might be out there for us to find.

Oh, and the new Star Wars trailer is out. Which is cool and all, but I’m not feeling any particularly uncontainable excitement. I’ll certainly go and see it on the big screen though.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Another Tuesday

The cloud of debris news has been pretty interesting. And the resulting riffs and jokes about alien megastructures have been even better.

I really liked the new Star Wars trailer. Not especially hyped, I guess, but it did look and feel like proper Star Wars (as much as you can tell from a trailer).

Agreed. I’m just amused about what’s going to happen if we ever find real evidence of an advanced civilisation out there, and it becomes obvious that they’ve known we were here for a couple of thousand years already.

“Why haven’t they said anything? Not even a message in candles on someone’s roof?”

Imagine if they just don’t care. That would just kill us.

“Go away, little pink fleshy things.”

“Yes, we saw you. You seemed to be busy yelling at each other about shirts, so we thought it was best to let you get on with it.”

After that, humanity, with its ego crushed and its social justice outrage engine revving into overdrive, declared war on the aliens. Who then came here and stomped on us.

The End.

And amended the Hitchhiker’s Guide entry back to just “Harmless.”

If we wake up one morning to a sign on the White House lawn (because leaders of the free world) that just says “Shhhh” I’m heading for the hills.

I found it amusing that the article described a “hippy route” alternative to the alien-solar-panel-array option for this possible alien race. So now even solar energy isn’t hippy enough for these fucking aliens? I hate them already.

And you could just TASTE the pro-Hillary bias from that Atlantic author: “And until Sanders drops out of the race,” What the fuck? Why the FUCK would the first, or second, person in the polls drop out? The other 3 clowns should, yeah, but not even Biden would get as many votes as Sanders. Why wouldn’t he wait it out through the primary process, you asshole non-journalist??? Here we go again, everyone should just get out of the way for the anointment of Hillary as our Dear Leader.

“They don’t even have a Jesus yet!”

‘Bahahaha, so true. I bet they’re so smug, too, sitting over there in the 6th Century, lording it over our … actually they’d be looking at about 800BC Earth at that point, another 1,400 years in the past, wouldn’t they? We’re seeing their megastructure as it was 1,400 years ago, and 1,400 years ago they would have been seeing Earth 1,400 years before that! So they’d really think we were losers.

“They don’t even have a Jesus yet!”’

Right! “Look at this stupid Greek Empire! All those Gods for the planets, don’t those stupid humans realize planets are just planets? They haven’t even figured out there’s only one true God. They’ve not even seen the Metatron, Voice of the One True God!”

‘It really was a weird week. Last week, all the liberals on my Facebook feed were all about Sanders and his revolutionary policies. And when they had the debate, everyone was like “what a champ, he killed it.” Then there was a big fuckarow because CNN had apparently revealed that Sanders won the popular vote but they hid the results on their site and claimed Hillary won.

Now it seems CNN didn’t hide that shit, but conspiracy theorists were bitching about them doing so. And suddenly boom, tide turns against Sanders and everyone’s backing off.’

I lost track of what actually happened and didn’t happen but there are definitely shenanigans. And I don’t think the tide is turning, it’s just an ebb and flow. It’s hard to overcome the entire establishment backing Hillary at every turn, as has always been the case, but the tide has generally gone in our favor and I have hope it will continue again soon. He’s doing SO much better than anyone could have believed.

‘It’s sad that I know more about this than I know about Finnish or Australian politics (well, sort of). ‘Murica.’

Well, we are the greatest country on Earth.

4. thelinza says:

I have yet to meet an actual human who has stopped supporting Sanders. The only people who seem to be saying this kind of thing are interweb journalists, and we’ve confirmed that they suck and are fickle.

Agreed! Linza, do you prefer Sanders to Clinton?

And if I tell you his name is my name, too,[1] would that change your mind? XD

[1] No, not “John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt”. I mean Sanders.

This is reassuring to know, but I did see an alarming amount of backing-off and no-I-never-did-ing on Facebook. Still, it does seem like it’s all being puppeteered by the media. Like usual.

5. Pingback: Bonus post: Exoplanets | Hatboy's Hatstand