Bonus: Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

Our final movie of the night – and I sat down a couple of days later and re-watched it with Mrs. Hatboy, and it stood the test of time very well indeed – was this beautiful little trope-buster.

Another enjoyable one to put to the whole The Cabin in the Woods scenario, the story revolves around a group of college kids who drive out to a lake for some drinking, sex and general revelry. All the character tropes are there. Along the way, they run into a pair of creepy, creepy hillbillies.

Do they? Really?

Do they?

Things go from bad to worse while the kids are swimming in the lake and one of their number vanishes in the water, at which points the hillbillies reveal themselves, dragging the girl into their boat and rowing away, cackling “we got yer friend!” and gnawing on her face.

The result is a gory free-for-all as the college kids decide to fight back against the creepy-hillbilly menace and get their friends back. They are hopelessly, terrifyingly outclassed.

Oops.

Accidents happened.

Are you okay?

There’s a clear analogy to be made here.

Analogous

Something like this. For some reason, I felt it spoke to me.

So, obviously, the twist here is that the hillbillies are just a pair of good ol’ boys headed to their vacation home (acquired at great pain and expense and the culmination of a lifelong dream) to do a bit of renovation, fishin’, beer-drinkin’ and pickled-egg-eatin’.

At which point they accidentally see one of the college kids and startle her into falling in the water, pull her out and give her CPR to save her life, look after her in preparation for her friends coming to pick her up, and basically do everything right until murderous college kids come flying out of nowhere and trying to kill the shit out of them. Failing disastrously every step of the way.

A real doozy.

A doozy.

It’s brilliant.

This movie has everything, from the horror cliché of the girl who always falls down and knocks herself out, to the poor cop who’s getting too old for this shit, and a pair of beautiful performances from Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine as the honest, friendly, misunderstood hillbillies who just wanted to relax and enjoy their modest slice of the American Dream.

Wonderful on so many levels, even if it was slightly less hysterical the second time I watched it, while sober. Still hilarious. If you haven’t seen this movie, you are a bad person. There, I said it.

This entry was posted in Hatboy's Movie Extravaganza and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Bonus: Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

1. stchucky says:

I had to combine and update that image though, because the text was bugging me.

100% agreement, nothing of substance to add. This was a brilliant, smart, funny movie. By far the best movie of the night, and, really, the only honestly good movie of the night.

Something like this. For some reason, I felt it spoke to me.

Brilliant. Shared. Saved.

The friendship between Tucker and Dale was really simple and heart-warming.

Brilliant. Shared. Saved.

In my humble opinion the combo-shot I added and updated in the comments section here is the better image, but yes – it did seem rather appropriate either way.

Wow, even spoiled I want to watch this! Awesome! LOL

Spoiled schmoiled, the premise of the movie is clear in the first three minutes. It only reads like a spoiler because I introduced the review that way. Go watch it.

And for reference, there are actual plot elements here that could constitute spoilers, but I left those out of the review so they would remain a surprise.

Plot elements like, did that guy get wood-chipped or did he not?

No. Plot elements that are not blindingly obvious in a movie containing college kids and hillbillies.

It’s not obvious to me! And I need to know! Did that kid get the “you stole from my casino” treatment or not?????

I’ll never tell!

• Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is available to me for Netflix Streaming! Oh joy! And I bought my al-key-hall too, I’m ready! Yeeeeee-haw!!!!!

• OMG that movie was so good! Even Mrs. The Patriot had several laughs over it! And I’m half hillbilly, too, I must say! Too bad all those kids suiciding around their house, kinda ruins the atmosphere of the vacation home. I thought the dialogue was great too, the way they understated the worst events, like “that really hurt a great deal, Dale” and so on. And Tucker’s the pilot from Firefly, right? Cool….

Haha, glad you both enjoyed it! Yes, it really was profoundly stupid, but its awareness of horror movie cliché was spot-on, and yeah, the writing was … okay, I think in some places it was intentionally bad, but then it was good in other places so you could tell.

And Tucker’s the pilot from Firefly, right? Cool….

You’re saying you’ve yet to watch Firefly?

Dude.

Strap in, brothers, because he’s also King Candy in Wreck It Ralph, and Alpha in Dollhouse

• Wow, that’s pretty bad reading comprehension. LOL. I wouldn’t have recognized him as the pilot from Firefly if I hadn’t watched…Firefly… >.>

As I was watching the movie, I forgot to mention, I kept getting the feeling the wheels came off the plot, surely, at various points. But I kept not caring, LOL.

Of course, there’s sitting in front of your television while some episodes play, and then there’s watching. I suspect Mr. dreameling may be experiencing some uncertainty because if you watched the show, you wouldn’t need to ask if Alan Tudyk was Tucker, and you would say “Wash” instead of “the pilot”. But yeah.

And yeah, there were some issues with time and space along the way and an awful lot of convenient accidents happened and explanations didn’t happen, to keep the story rolling. But that’s great comedy.

• Well I was more *verifying* that Wash was Tucker…a rhetorical question whose rhetorical-ness is given away by my answering it, “Cool….” See? But that’s good channeling from White Men Can’t Jump, I approve. I can’t HEAR Jimmy!

Bahahaha, that was unintentional! I was just trying to explain how a conclusion like that could come about, given what an ‘orrible fanboy dreameling is.

Like Chucky surmised, I was thinking that if you’d seen Firefly, you wouldn’t need to ask about Wash (rhetorically or otherwise). We’ve posted a few Firefly and Serenity clips and pics here in the past, so you could’ve vaguely know about Tudyk/Wash, and you were excited about the show beforehand, as far as I recall.

Makes perfect sense!

Also, my reply was a question, of the non-rhetorical kind, not a statement of fact.

I have spoken.

I hope we can now move past the Washgate.

I think we can move past it. Because Monday’s post is about to blow your poor innocent little minds.

Well, since this movie was exactly the second role I’ve seen Tudyk in, I think I can be forgiven for just verifying, while being pretty sure, that this redneck was really the same guy as the anal retentive pilot from Firefly. At least, fairly anal retentive. And excuse me for using you guys as my personal IMDB, but that’s more fun that just using the actual website. Makes for conversation. Evidently. LOL

If I’m remembering his character correctly.

He’s geek credentials really are something.