Interlude: Strange

Not a lot to report today, just getting ready for the weekend and the “Load of Bonsh” book release party tomorrow night.

I’ve been trying to hold off on starting work on Blaran until at least Fergunakil is up and live, but I haven’t exactly succeeded in this. While it doesn’t feel quite right yet to start the new book, I haven’t been able to avoid getting some notes in place. In fact, looking at my Blaran doc, it’s already about 14 pages long and about 4,000 words in size. And I haven’t started Day 1 of my word-count yet. Fergunakil had a similar issue, which was probably why I finished so early.

Well, see, I can explain. Of course, there were already some notes down, because … okay, well it’s basically inevitable, see? It’s all down to the metrics.

Metrics! Again!

See? No?

Okay, this is all statistically quantifiable and perfectly rational, and will probably show up increasingly as I enter the home stretch and the final four books. I wrote most of Fergunakil‘s big prologue while I was on summer holiday, so the first few days of stat-keeping took me almost to 20,000 words right off, so you can consider that a ‘cheat’ of sorts. And I am probably not going to get that much done in ‘cheat’ weeks for Blaran. Nevertheless, each forthcoming book will start off with more words.

The first three books essentially started with blank documents and I started from there. However, as the series developed, I have a “book zero” meta-file where I collect not only bits and pieces pertaining to the series continuity, but also notes for future books. And that file is now – with the stuff for Blaran already cut out and placed in its own document – over 100 pages long.

screencap

Literally. And literarily.

What this means is, as the series progresses, I get gradually more and more material that will be copied across into the book document when I get to that book – which means each book with probably start, from Day 1, with more text already there. And yes, this should reassure you that I have a driving story arc and a plan, if not a Plan, for this wacky-wacky series.

Hmm.

Kill it with cola!

Also, I made a pre-mix of Long Island Iced Tea for the party (just add cola), and it has … transformed into some sort of nightmarish abomination unto the Lord.
This entry was posted in Astro Tramp 400 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Interlude: Strange

1. stchucky says:

No. I tried the stuff, and the stuff was bad. I have decanted a small quantity into a bottle I have now marked “ABOM. UNTO NUGGAN” and anyone who wants to try it can do so at their own risk. I will empty the bottle and make a new dose of Long Island Iced Tea mix with the proper proportions and way more respect for the laws of the universe.

I was gonna say. That looks like Antti mixed it, and I need to go pour it in a bucket. I’m proud of you for stepping up and doing it yourself.

I was just saying to dreameling that when I added coke, these little white larvae-things started wriggling around in the glass, and it tasted like death. The Pas could not have made a worse thing.

I’m going to go all out and make my own sweet-and-sour mix of lemon juice and sugar, and just give up on the syrups which were only making things unpleasant for everybody.

LOL well consider me reassured that you have an arc. Because you know, those thousands of pages in the Pinian universe hadn’t convinced me.

I’m such a non-purist when it comes to LI Iced Tea, I can add just about any liquor to cola, plus lime/lemon juice, and I consider it qualifying.

Yeah, I was looking up recipes and dang if it didn’t just look like you could put anything in there and call it good.

I should have submitted my unholy travesty to the cultural gestalt.

So what *did* you put in there? I’m surprised there are syrups out there meant for human consumption that become so deadly in combination.

Something in the combination of syrup and lemon juice, maybe some mixture of different stuff … danged if I know.