Not a lot to report today, just getting ready for the weekend and the “Load of Bonsh” book release party tomorrow night.
I’ve been trying to hold off on starting work on Blaran until at least Fergunakil is up and live, but I haven’t exactly succeeded in this. While it doesn’t feel quite right yet to start the new book, I haven’t been able to avoid getting some notes in place. In fact, looking at my Blaran doc, it’s already about 14 pages long and about 4,000 words in size. And I haven’t started Day 1 of my word-count yet. Fergunakil had a similar issue, which was probably why I finished so early.
Well, see, I can explain. Of course, there were already some notes down, because … okay, well it’s basically inevitable, see? It’s all down to the metrics.
Okay, this is all statistically quantifiable and perfectly rational, and will probably show up increasingly as I enter the home stretch and the final four books. I wrote most of Fergunakil‘s big prologue while I was on summer holiday, so the first few days of stat-keeping took me almost to 20,000 words right off, so you can consider that a ‘cheat’ of sorts. And I am probably not going to get that much done in ‘cheat’ weeks for Blaran. Nevertheless, each forthcoming book will start off with more words.
The first three books essentially started with blank documents and I started from there. However, as the series developed, I have a “book zero” meta-file where I collect not only bits and pieces pertaining to the series continuity, but also notes for future books. And that file is now – with the stuff for Blaran already cut out and placed in its own document – over 100 pages long.
Literally. And literarily.
What this means is, as the series progresses, I get gradually more and more material that will be copied across into the book document when I get to that book – which means each book with probably start, from Day 1, with more text already there. And yes, this should reassure you that I have a driving story arc and a plan, if not a Plan, for this wacky-wacky series.