Fergunakil

Day 56. 230 pages, 110,080 words. Finished.

Well, all I can say is, that was tough to write. I’m glad it’s done, and pretty amazed that it managed to happen in just 56 days. That’s a record for me, but I’m not going to try to beat it. 70 is a good enough round number. Fergunakil happened quickly.

Now I just need to sit back and wait for the proofs to arrive. Heh, with any luck, they’ll get here before the release party for Bonshoon. Which sort of makes my fabulous quiz prize a bit silly – at least for my esteemed editors. Who, now I come to think of it, should really be disqualified from the quiz anyway.

In the meantime, here are some closing metrics!

Metrics! Again!

Okay, so the word count graph looks silly.

The chapter spread is quite even – I did a bit less dice-throwing to decide point of view characters this time, and actually consulted the graph as I wrote, to see who was getting too little coverage.

metrics_fergunakil_representation

Janya, Misc, and (as usual) the Rip get a bit of airtime here. And I should note, for any self-professed MIT braniacs who still don’t know how pie charts work in an entertainment context, there is no Captain slice in this pie. Suffer[1].
[1] But … have a little faith in your old pal Hatboy, too.

That makes the total spread look something like this:

metrics_FFoM_representation (ca. book 4)

And there you have it.

Okay, my parents are getting here in an hour or two, so it’s time for me to take off. Not sure what I’ll have time to do in the next few days, but for now it’s unwindin’ time.

17 Responses to Fergunakil

Congrats!

Man, you write fast. Do you do how much editing as you go along, or do the sentences and chapters kind of just flow out relatively fully-formed?

Also, “Misc” vs. “Miscellaneous” in the legends. Dude.

PS. I love that you screencapped the spellchecker highlights, lol.

I don’t really know. I know I was a bit rushed to get this done today, so I didn’t do a full read-through and check for issues. That’s why I have editors! Although I will be re-reading after I’ve taken a break, and will fix some stuff then.

Generally, what happens is I write a pile of text on my phone, then edit it as I transcribe it into the doc. Or I write a pile of text one day, then edit it before starting the next bit the following day.

I don’t know, whatever works.

Also, “Misc” vs. “Miscellaneous” in the legends. Dude.

Hey, well spotted! One is book-specific, the other is series-wide and they were in separate docs. But I have now harmonised them. Although now one has a footnote and the other doesn’t.

PS. I love that you screencapped the spellchecker highlights, lol.

Ain’t nobody got time to add all those weird names to their custom dictionaries.

I don’t know, whatever works.

Interesting. It does sound like you do quite a bit of editing. Which is what I would expect from a writer. (It’s also a relief, since the stuff you’ve been sending out has been quite smooth and polished, and I’d fucking hate to think that you produced that without any editing.)

Here’s another: Do you plan the stories how much, or do you mostly just make it up as you go along? (Well, you obviously have at least some sort of high-level plan for a series arc.)

One more: Even though the current series started out by accident, or partly by accident, or at least it seemed accidental-like what with that facebook-friends-as-spaceship-crew thingie, have you been drawing a lot of material and story ideas from all the stuff that’s been boiling in your head since whenever you first came up with Pinian? Or has this mostly been its own new thing?

I know. It’s literally like one click per word during spell check (at least in Word).

Well, you basically guessed it. The idea was fun, but then I slotted the plot and setting into the Pinian urverse, albeit in a time and place well separated from any other plots. At that point, it really did get scarily easy to write.

About all that is shared between the threads – Book of Pinian and Final Fall of Man – is the Molran and Damorakind superspecies. Uh, and humans, I guess. Then the mythos – the Pinians, Mygon, Zhraak, Karl, the Burning Knights, and all that – is shared. But you’ll get no more out of me, you wicked man!

Speaking of a shared mythos, and of a promise of minds blow I vaguely recall, how do Creepy & Hatboy tie into the Pinian urverse?

:p

Creepy and Hatboy? Those fuckers don’t belong in any universe!

Oh, they fit in, you recall correctly – I figured it out last year or so. But I’m not revealing that here. That’s a mind-blow for later publications.

Creepy and Hatboy? Those fuckers don’t belong in any universe!

Are you kidding, those two would be awesome meta-demi-gods or something!

Indeed. Still waiting.

Random editors, in theory, should have the class and common sense to sit the contest out with Mrs. Hatboy.

Also, I’m effing tired of coming in second by one point.

Yay, I’m excited! But you know I live for the Captain =(