All Marvel, All The Time

Not much going on this weekend. Well actually there’s a lot going on – forest hike soon, then a birthday party, then board games, then a movie tomorrow – but not much to report right now.

ANZAC Day today, so I put up the ol’ flag. I always feel a bit funny putting up a foreign flag in our very Finnish piha. Even though I know our neighbours are family and super-cool, and are particularly respectful of our fallen veteran ancestors, it always makes me wonder if some angry perussuomalainen will stamp up and shout at me.

That’d be fun.

We finished watching Marvel’s Netflix original series Daredevil the other day, and started watching – at last! – Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And I have to say, it’s more fun. Right from the start, more fun.

But that’s the great thing right now. There’s so much range to the comic book genre. We get dark, interesting stuff like Daredevil – I will certainly watch the next season with interest, and some of the scenes were just glorious[1] – and then hilarious, fluffy Whedons-at-their-near-Whedonest stuff like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and we don’t need to choose one or the other. Fantastic time to be a comics fan.

[1] The musical arrest montage was fun to watch, although that makes it sound Benny Hill (that would also have been funny). It was an operatic piece and very nicely choreographed.

Not sure where they’re heading with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., we’ve only seen three episodes so far. But I like it.

Advertisements

18 Responses to All Marvel, All The Time

Season 1 was a lot of build up for the , at that time, next in line Marvel movie, The Winter Soldier. So it’s building towards that. Season 2 seems to have laid a good ground work for the events that trigger the Civil War, and I suspect Season 3 will do more to that end.

Yep, we are up to episode 10 and we’re just past the timeline-point now where the Dark Elves attacked, in Thor 2. And I’m wondering if there aren’t already a few Hydra-clues sneaking their way in, with the way they arranged that mission with no pick-up (and didn’t tell Coulson about it), and so on. But I’ll wait and see.

I actually thought (hopefully-spoiler-text) there was a kick-off to the division of the big heroes in the latest Avengers movie, with Iron Man and Hulk (or at least Banner) and Thor on one side, and the rest on the other side, opposed to the idea of the Vision. Of course, Thor joining Stark and the Vision obviously taking their side made it a bit uneven and they collapsed back into a cohesive unit (for now), but there’s a bit of groundwork going on there.

!! SPOILERS !!

(I went ahead and added spoilertext for you. – Ed)

I was also expecting some sort of (at least subtle) setup for Civil War in Ultron, but the Captain and Stark parted ways as friends, right? And while Stark was obviously shaken and motivated by the apocalyptic vision Wanda (or the Mind Stone) gave him, he kind of worked through that in the film, right? Or what am I missing again?

Yeah, they did sort their shit out and make peace, but you’re also right – he did leave at the end and that could end up being significant. So did Thor, and Banner is sort of in the wind (heh, banner in the wind) … indeed all the old guard except Widow and Cap. There is very much a feeling (a’la X-Men) of the old guard ending and the new class beginning. Whether that will end up being the dividing line … I don’t know, not familiar enough with the comics.

2. IAmDonovan says:

SHIELD is very different from Daredevil. I liked DD but I love SHIELD more. I hope you enjoy it!

Just finished binging through Daredevil over the weekend and, oh man, did I like it a lot. The dark, dirty, gritty, violent, real-life-y approach makes for a really nice and welcome counterbalance to the more fun and epic approach of, well, everything else from S.H.I.E.L.D. to pretty much any of the movies. Imagine how weird a Daredevil and, say, S.H.I.E.L.D. crossover would be. Would love to see that.

PS. D’Onofrio’s shy and psychotic Kingpin. Best Marvel villain to date. (With the possible exception of Loki.)

Sounds a bit “Connery” when you say it aloud, though.

Man, you are just on a roll of word-clever today. 🙂

Wait, how the hell do you guys “like” individual comments? (I’ve now seen you and thelinza do it.) The WordPress app? Silly and weird that the desktop browser client shows nothing on this.

Yeah, it depends which part of the UI you go in through and what sort of settings you have on the blog itself. For example, on Linza’s blog I can just straight-up Like a comment because the comment has a button for it.

On this blog, from the comment bubble in the top right corner (I think it’s an admin thing) I can drop-down recent comments and there is a Like option there. But in the actual proper comments UI page, nothing of the sort.

WordPress is a mess. I don’t like the new interface. But the Like option is a nice lazy alternative to going in and replying “This comment was an awesome comment.”

Got it. I’m pretty sure I just liked that comment. Seems you just need to be signed in to WordPress.

A lot of like in the air, today.

With any luck, we will be seeing some sort of nod back and forth, at the very least.