Marvel’s Daredevil

We just started watching this last night. Only two episodes in but it seems pretty fun. I didn’t have the violent hate reaction many people seemed to have to the Daredevil movie a few years ago with Affleck – I have a very high tolerance and tend not to get furious about movies, because I think getting furious about movies is inexpressibly dumb – but this seems more engaging and watchable.

It’s also gone for the dark and gritty, but not in a too-grating or excessive sort of way. Just realistic, I think, rather than too superhero-ey.

Not having seen Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (thank you very much, US-centric Netflix elitism), and not having started Agent Carter yet either, I guess this is my first Marvel TV show set in the movie universe. It’s nice to have some sort of style difference between the TV show and the movies, which I think this show offers. There’s also more freedom for long story arcs, and of course some blood and swearing that they probably have to be more careful with in blockbuster movies. It’s also not as colourful, but I think that works.

Looking forward to checking out more of it. I haven’t really reviewed much TV so I’m not sure how I’ll go about it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Marvel’s Daredevil

1. thelinza says:

They spend too much time beating up the main character and not enough time kicking ass. We’ve only watched two episodes, but the second one was kinda distasteful IMO.

It’s a good point.

However (having only seen 2 episodes myself), I would suggest that they needed to do it this way to some degree (that they may have overshot on). Because the first episode essentially tells us why he’s Daredevil (“those Murdock boys have the Devil in them”), and how his relationship with his father (“that’s when he let the Devil out”) sets up his method of fighting.

Now that they have the “get knocked down, but never out” thing, and the “sometimes when he’d get hit, his eyes would go dead and he’d just go batshit crazy” thing out of the way, hopefully they can leave behind the dad-flashbacks and he can start fighting a bit more cleverly. I don’t know.

Now, since his dad was very clearly Butch from Pulp Fiction, it’s pretty obvious that the name “Daredevil” don’t mean shit.

Uhhh, I havnt seen them yet, it’s in my Que. But it IS Daredevil. He frequently gets the ever living crap kicked out of him, shot, and stabbed. In fact, possibly nearly as often as Deadpool or Wolverine, but without the healing factor.

The Flash is good, I hear. Crap is that DC? Sorry if that’s OT XD

• thelinza says:

I’ve been told that the Flash features robotic bees, so I already like it. 😀

Robotic bees? You have now completely horrified me by merging my melissophobia [1] [2] with my lingering fear of Skynet taking us all over, thank you Terminator. And thinking of nanobots now for some reason. Gah! I don’t think I could watch! XD

[1] Stung 11 times in 7 years from age 4-11…still terrified to this day so much so my kids, who have never been stung, are just as terrified….

[2] How awesome is that term? I have to use it any time I can. Poor Melissas, though.

• thelinza says:

How can you NOT watch? It’s the culmination of all your fears! Watch as even a superhero has the same problems you have!

*shuddering in corner, mumbling to self*