Daily WoT

Day 41. 90 pages, 44,147 words.

In case it has passed you by, by now you will know that there’s a pilot episode of The Wheel of Time book 1, The Eye of the World out there. Entitled Winter Dragon, it seems to star Billy Zane as Ishamael[1] and it follows the book pretty directly.

Billy Zane as Ishamael?

Billy Zane seems pretty self-aware, too, which is a good meta-characteristic for Ishamael.

[1] There was one I can honestly say we never included in our casting debates. Damn it, the actual chapter is missing from that link, will have to get it from Mrs. Hatboy. Alright, here it is: chapter_013_wot_movie. Looks like Billy Zane was picked for Demandred, Rahvin and Galad, weirdly … but not Ishamael.

Anyway. It also seemed the Jordan estate knew nothing about it.

It appears as though this was one of those sneaky “get something on television before a certain date or you lose the rights you own to this story” tricks, the people involved slapping together an episode and paying to put it up on a midnight timeslot of FXX. Universal didn’t seem to be involved, but it does look like a pretty big coincidence that tomorrow is the defaulting date and this thing went live last night.

Oh well, what are we to think about it?

I’m thinking this will never get as big a budget as Game of Thrones has already hogged, and will never get the attention that has all been used up on Game of Thrones. The Wheel of Time missed its chance. Plus, if they’re going to do roughly a half-hour episode per chapter, the series is going to be massive. Don’t get me wrong, that would be cool … but I just don’t see it as something that’s going to happen.

No, in all likelihood there will be massive changes to anything that happened in this pilot, from the structure to the casting to the feel, all the way up and down the scale. If it ever happens at all. The creators did say that this stuff wouldn’t really be used in the story, so much as broken up into the flashbacks that haunt Rand and Ishamael as they go forward. Still, it was fun for a second. And there did seem to be a little bit of effort put into this.

And did Lews Therin just call one of his kids “Lews Junior”? I can’t remember that. Maybe one of them was called Lews Junior.

I have won again

This entry was posted in Hatboy's Movie Extravaganza and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Daily WoT

1. Laurence says:

Well, that was … interesting.

First thought, my god, American TV has a lot of adverts… >.<

Second thought, that went on for rather a long time, without much happening. So they've got WoT down pretty well.

Third thought, where's the massive volcano mountain thingy?

Not very impressed, although I accept a lot of it is due to budget constraints. If they do make a WoT TV series, I probably won't be able to stop myself… But I hope there's lots of trimming!

No no no … trimming? You mean padding! I want this to become the Days of Our Lives for the next generation! That weird cheesy old show that mum and dad always watch that the kids don’t understand. It needs to go on and on and on, with entire seasons turning out to be a dream inside a Traveling Stone, or a flashback into a prequel novel. As the actors get steadily older and are replaced by CGI, the entire plot fluffs out to ludicrous extremes that can never be concluded.

Just like the books!

Until – finally, in 2035 – a cocky new director takes over. Let’s say the son or daughter or clone of JJ Abrams and Brandon Sanderson. And brings the whole thing to a cold and horrifying conclusion.

Yeah, the ads were a bit weird for me. Especially since there didn’t seem to be much segue. “Oh look, jo’cars really were just cars … no, wait, it’s an ad.”

And Lews Therin’s implosion definitely needs to be done better. Dragonmount is one of the most important characters in the series.

Anyway, we’ll talk about this in May.

Dude, I know WoT means a lot to you, but come on, today’s big pop culture thing must be the news that Spidey will join the MCU!

Derailing 101.

Wheel of Time came first. I have a blog prepared about Spiderman tomorrow. Oh ye of little faith.

I will never learn, will I?

Btw., the WoT “pilot” was lame.

Well, of course it was. It needs extensive revisiting if it’s going to make a coherent TV series.

I did like some of the elements, though. Lews Therin’s general look and style, the late-19th-Century fashion was interestingly in keeping with the spell-punk industrial era of the Age of Legends.

3. Pingback: The Wheel Turns. Again. | Hatboy's Hatstand