Ramblin’ Wednesday

Well, might as well make this a week-long series at this point, right?

Getting there. Not much to report today, I overslept and don’t have much time to do anything, but hopefully I’ll pick up again after a great start to the week and a bit of a mid-week slump due to extreme shitpiles of work.

Funny thing, I think I felt brighter and cheerier after staying up until 04:00 and then getting three hours’ sleep[1] than I do going to bed at 23:00 and getting four. Of course, neither case is particularly sustainable, but maybe I’m still more of a night person than a morning one. Even though it’s a bit of a moot point in Finland at this time of year.

[1] Yes, I old-farted out of my all-nighter at four in the morning, got a couple of hours’ shut-eye and then got up and went to work. Fresh as a daisy and happy as Larry. Damn Larry.

We sat up to finish the final two episodes of Broadchurch last night, which was why I overslept. Totally worth it. It was a bit of a harrowing journey but I liked the way it ended, and the solution of the murder all fell together nicely. Looking forward to seeing what they manage for Season 2. In the meantime, I might look up this True Detective I have heard positive things about. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does not appear to be on Netflix yet.

I finally finished reading Banks’s Surface Detail. A very cool story with a lot of nice settings and interesting characters (the Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints was hardcore), and a really interesting premise, but all in all I’m not sure if it really came together as a story. Indeed, after some of his other books, this one came across as having been written by someone else entirely. Somehow.

I’m very willing to give the late Mr. Banks the benefit of the doubt on this one, though, because of my ridiculously distracted and broken-up reading experience. I was lucky to manage a couple of pages a day. In fact, looking at my schedule, I think I have been writing books faster than I have been reading them right now. So I really didn’t give this one a chance.

And I’m pretty sure I missed something, because the reveal of the character’s identity at the end was probably supposed to be a big meaningful surprise, but I have no idea who he was. So it’s probably from one of the Culture books that I have not yet read.

Advertisements

8 Responses to Ramblin’ Wednesday

1. thelinza says:

True Detective was unnecessarily depressing.

Hmm, I’m not going to lie, that’s a problem for me.

But then, Broadchurch wasn’t exactly sunshine and gumdrops, and I was okay with it aside from the occasional queasy spell.

• thelinza says:

Every time Matthew McConnaughey starts talking, just get up and go get a sandwich. It is a serious threat to mental hygiene. This is also not a series you want to watch with the kids in the room, not because they won’t be able to handle it, but because they’ll see you react to it.

This isn’t much of a spoiler, but it is a warning:
        There’s a monologue where a father talks about how he didn’t want to live anymore, because his daughter is dead, and maybe if he died he could be with her.

That messed me up for DAYS. Father-daughter relationships are sacred ground.

Actually sounds an awful lot like Broadchurch, it was a son who had died in that one but the parents’ reactions were hard to watch. I think for obvious reasons daughter will hit me harder. I seem to have no tolerance for that shit anymore.

Also, that’s a lot of sammiches.

Must disagree with the “unnecessarily depressing”. TD can certainly read depressing but it’s not unnecessarily or gratuitously so or anything like that. It’s actually quite honest, since it all comes from the characters, and the characters are broken people, some of whom come from pretty dark places. Bleak, cynical, pessimistic, nihilistic, sure, all that, but there’s a reason to it, and there’s also lighter stuff in there.

TD is a dark show, yes, but it’s darkness that has depth and meaning.

My reading of it, anyway.

Dude, that’s definitely spoilerish. And that was a beautifully done scene.

Yeah, tragic or just very dramatic father-daughter (or just parent-child) narratives have really become more emotional for me. You should see Interstellar. Fucking movie made me cry like a big man. But it was great. (No need to read any killer spoilers in that.)

Yeah, off to see Interstellar on Friday.