The line must be drawn here

On an idle whim, because I enjoy wasting the precious minutes between my insanely early wake-up call and the time when I haul myself out to the customer office (yes, I am on a new project and for the early stages they want me on-site, although the travel costs and other things that they’re paying will soon prove the worth of the home office), I took this quiz.

Well, I did.

The results were predictable enough.

Naturally, I went to the key to take a look at which phrase it was I screwed up. I’ll leave the result in spoilertext in case you want to take the quiz and see for yourself:

“You’ve got another think coming” is correct. It means that your thought is wrong and you should think again.

What? What? Are you kidding me?

No. I refuse to live on a planet where this is considered correct.

About Hatboy

I’m not often driven to introspection or reflection, but the question does come up sometimes. The big question. So big, there’s just no containing it within the puny boundaries of a single set of punctuationary bookends. Who are these mysterious and unsung heroes of obscurity and shadow? What is their origin story? Do they have a prequel trilogy? What are their secret identities? What are their public identities, for that matter? What are their powers? Their abilities? Their haunted pasts and troubled futures? Their modus operandi? Where do they live anyway, and when? What do they do for a living? Do they really have these fantastical adventures, or is it a dazzlingly intellectual and overwrought metaphor? Or is it perhaps a smug and post-modern sort of metaphor? Is it a plain stupid metaphor, hedged around with thick wads of plausible deniability, a soap bubble of illusory plot dependent upon readers who don’t dare question it for fear of looking foolish? A flight of fancy, having dozed off in front of the television during an episode of something suitably spaceship-oriented? Do they have a quest, a handler, a mission statement, a department-level development objective in five stages? I am Hatboy. https://hatboy.blog/2013/12/17/metalude-who-are-creepy-and-hatboy/
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The line must be drawn here

1. stchucky says:

Before we go into too much nitpicking over this, here’s a nicely balanced summary:

That being said, I am happy to accept my 21 out of 21 and let damn fools say this shit any way they want to, with their sloping foreheads and dragging knuckles.

Man, I only got 16 out of 21 (or 17 out of 21, by your system; or 18 out of 21 by mine).

I got these wrong:
    “You’ve got another think coming” (yeah, I’m with you on that one)
    “I jibe with that” (not even sure what “jive” and “jibe” are)
    “hunger pangs” (whatever)
    “wreaked havoc” (kinda suspected that “wrecked” may not be correct)
    “begging the question” (screw that! that phrase is used “wrong” so widely and consistently that it’s effectively correct!)

Jibe means to move or interlock mechanically in concert. Jive means to boogie on down like disco didn’t die forty years ago.

I would have agreed with you on begging the question, if I hadn’t witnessed a huge and destructive Argument On The Internet about it. Long story short, it is used wrong, but it’s probably reached the “usage dictates meaning” stage by now. I tend to resist that stage, personally, because it is used to excuse all sorts of fuckery … but in this case, yeah. Maybe an unfair example to declare Right or Wrong.

It’s indeed a fine line between policing a language (you absolutely need “kielenhuolto”) and allowing / accepting language change (you cannot stop it, since all languages naturally evolve when used). I try to avoid drawing that line if at all possible. In the case of “begging the question”, however, I’m with “usage dictates meaning”. (Saves me one point!)

17 out of 21, 18 by Chucky’s system, 19 by dreameling’s bc it effing is BEGGING the question. A fact can’t raise a question, a PERSON has to raise a damn question.

I almost went for jig, I take the hit for saying gig. And jibe/jive, ok fair enough.

You put “jive” instead of “jibe” even after I corrected it for you that time? That hurts, man.

I mean, come on, man. You inspired a lot of this public service announcement.

Hey, I’m really sorry. Because of my music background and interest, it’s really hard for me to hold on to the “deceptive” meaning of jive. Which, I must note, is not an early definition:

So I always think of jiving together as making music together aka working together, see?

And hey, the PSA is funny even if I have trouble overcoming my personal inertia, don’t take it so hard, man.

My colossal towering ego will live to fight another day.

“My colossal towering ego will live to fight another day.”

Verily, I had no doubt.

Incidentally, I first thought this post was going to be about Star Trek.

Gotta say I’m a little disappointed.

Actually just re-watched First Contact with my brother the other day, followed by Into Darkness. The idea was to compare a “good old” with a “bad new”, although these are arguable. I didn’t hate the latest effort, although its nonsensicality is getting increasingly difficult to ignore.

When First Contact came out, a lot of people complained that it had too much action in it to be Star Trek, but for me it’s probably the best ST movie ever, followed by The Wrath of Khan.

Agreed, although I think I liked The Voyage Home more than The Wrath of Khan. I did enjoy geeking out to my brother about how the original Khan storyline went in comparison to the post-Nero continuity. He eventually left the country.

My brother, that is. Not Khan or Nero.