Days of Future Past

I’m not going to do much of a review of this (do I say that every time?), due to spoilers and stuff, and also the fact that I had a slightly more interesting idea that I was going to try, time permitting. But I’ll have a quick swing at it.

Just be warned, spoilers and stuff.

X-Men: Days of Future Past was a pretty cool film. I think First Class was more BST heavy, in the flashy use of multiple mutants and bright colours, while this one was darker, focussing on a couple of characters (predominantly Magneto and Mystique, with a hint of Wolverine) and a look at a grayscale dystopian future and a rather utilitarian military 60s-70s period. This film centred on post-Vietnam and the start of Trask’s very, very slow war on mutants that would ultimately lead to the extermination of everyone, because of genetics and the Sentinels being able to see mutation potential down to the nth generation.

But you know what? I won’t even go into it. Suffice it to say, there was time travel involved and the result is a complete continuity reset, doing for the X-Men franchise what the new post-Vulcan continuity did for Star Trek. Basically, every film except First Class – the original trilogy and the two Wolverine films – are completely tossed out and the story starts over. With ramifications we’re not sure of yet.

Which is actually pretty cool. I was one of the few people (do I say this every time as well?) to rather like pretty much all the films, even X3, but they had their problems and I guess there’s nothing wrong with a reboot.

Okay, here’s one thing that’s not so much a problem, as sort of chilling and horrifying.

Wolverine’s mind was sent back into his young self, so he could affect the past. In the “present”, he’s asleep and then when he wakes up the changed timeline takes effect. He will be the only person to remember the old one.

So this happens, and it all seems hunky-dory. Wolverine wakes up and is all stunned and amazed that everything has changed and all his friends and frienemies are back. He goes to Xavier and he realises Wolverine is “back” (Xavier remembering only that young Wolverine turned up in the 60s-70s and said he was from the future), they smile about how he’s got some catching up to do, and ha ha aww, roll credits.

But there’s the other side of it.

Whatever happens in the wake of the first Sentinel fight (also known as “the fifth or sixth time mutants show humans how easy it would be to wipe them out and give them the option to not be jerks”), Wolverine goes off and lives through the next forty or fifty years doing whatever. At some point he joins the X-Men and becomes a teacher at the school. He gains new memories and experiences, and lives out that entire timeline.

Then, as soon as he “wakes up” at the point on the timeline corresponding to the final Sentinel fight, all that vanishes. That Wolverine, the one everyone knows, ceases to exist. Like he’s just had a psychotic break and suffered a complete personality switch. The broad strokes seem to be the same, by the reactions of the other X-Men, but he’s not the same guy.

That’s sort of horrible.

But yeah, pretty cool. There were a few problems that have been bugging me, here’s a little list:

Trask’s Sentinels, in the 1970s, could remotely detect mutation on a genetic level. How? And never mind the “recessive genes mean humans can and will inevitably produce mutants at some point, generationally” problem, all humans have mutations of some sort, even if they’re not as cool as metal-powers. I’d’ve thought Trask would realise that better than most people. There must be a special kind of mutation they’re finding. Not “mutation” in the common understanding of the term.

Where was Sabretooth? Wolverine Quantum Leaps into himself at the end of the Vietnam War. At this point Stryker should have recruited them already. But Stryker seems younger now, and has no idea. He doesn’t seem to be on the mutant strike force building Deadpool, his son is 8 years old. How’s that going to play out, especially since Mystique has taken over?

How can Kitty do Quantum Leaps now?

How do the Sentinels do their Mystique-Rogue transformation? Oh well, I’ll allow that one on future-baloneyum technoplop.

Why did the whole thing have to be sorted before Wolverine went back? Once he’d convinced Magneto and Xavier, they’d have fifty years to stop Trask. So he’d wake up into a new world anyway.

On that topic, look at Magneto in this. He reprograms the Sentinels with railway tracks, and drops a football stadium on the White House. He’s a God. Humanity, let alone 1970s-tech humanity, would have no chance. Let alone when he’s teamed up with all the others. Trask is right. Homo sapiens is over. Where he fucks it up is, homo sapiens’s only hope is to become mutantkind’s lovable pet-slave worker class. Making enemies of them in even the most minor way is going to end in eradication. Mutual eradication, since the Sentinels were so poorly thought out.

Wolverine was about 100 years old in the first movies. By the future-time, he was about 150? Why did he have grey hairs? Presumably this means his immortality and invincibility isn’t going to last forever. That must be good news for him.

Why didn’t they let Hammy the Squirrel, I mean The Flash or whoever he was, Magneto’s son apparently, do the whole job for them? He was funny.

Dang, in a bit of a rush now. Will have to continue this later, there was more. But all in all, a very fun movie. It’ll be interesting to see where they head with it.

This entry was posted in Hatboy's Movie Extravaganza and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Days of Future Past

1. stchucky says:

I had to wonder why Wolverine made the trip due to his mind healing, but we know that his mind doesn’t heal the way his meat does. He permanently lost his memory when he got shot in the head.

2. Linza says:

What, there’s a mutant that can alter the fabric of space and is expected not to do this to time, as well? It’s all the same thing, right? something something theoretical physics something field unification theory. She should also be able to affect gravity.

3. Beer Rot says:

“I was one of the few people (do I say this every time as well?) to rather like pretty much all the films, even X3, but they had their problems and I guess there’s nothing wrong with a reboot.”

high five. i enjoyed ’em all. even got some dust in me eye when i saw Jean.

Heh, well I have to say I’m sort of with Mrs. Hatboy when she says the original trilogy made a mistake trying to make Joenix into a central character we all care about, because there’s no earthly reason for the Thing between her and Wolverine. I can’t say I ever found her (or Cyclops, for that matter) to be all that interesting, although Cyclops and Wolverine was a bromance that may now get a chance to happen, even though Jackman’s getting old.

And they have done the same now with the new trilogy and Ravtique (that doesn’t condense as well as “Joenix”, sorry), a character who, while entertaining to watch, isn’t particularly charismatic or sympathetic.

Oh well. It’s a whole new continuity, so let’s see. I wasn’t devastated or bereft of hope by this story, and neither was Mrs. Hatboy.

Finally saw this and I quite liked it as well. Good movie with some nice character moments, a few standout action scenes, and a pretty well-crafted story. My quibbles are mostly the same as yours, and while the potential reset of almost everything probably bugs me a bit more than you, I can live with it. (Especially since it does leave the characters in a far better place than X3 [1].) I also found our Wolverine usurping the life of the reset Wolverine pretty brutal, but I can live with that too. Yeah, I liked the movie. X2 remains the best X-Men movie in my book, but this one is definitely one of the better ones.

[1] Which I did not like all that much.

One thing to add to your list: In the original timeline, Mystique kills Trask in 1973, is captured on the spot by Stryker tazing her, is experimented on and has her blood sampled (by someone other than the now dead Trask), then at some point escapes to become (again) the badass henchmen of Magneto… and it takes 50 years to use her blood to develop the Super Sentinels? Didn’t Trask leave any notes behind? Didn’t he have like a team of people working for him?

While I like Wolverine, and especially Jackman as Wolverine, I think they should just drop the original team for now and concentrate on the First Class characters. I want more Fassbender as Magneto. They can reboot the original team somewhere down the line (and finally do Colossus and Dark Phoenix right [2].)

[2] Given that X3 now probably never happened the way we saw it, assuming it happened at all, it could be that the reset timeline actually went through a proper Dark Phoenix saga, and WE NEVER SAW IT!

I don’t remember X2, I guess it was the one with the Magneto jailbreak and, crap, don’t remember much about it. But yeah, that one. It was okay. Oh right, Stryker and his son, the slavery-serum and female Wolverine (I actually know this one, it was Lady Deathstrike right?).

I didn’t have much of a problem with the timeline, sometimes development stalls and post-Nam USA was in a bit of a slump even in the timeline where the Sentinels worked. I was more thrown by the Mk. 1 Sentinels being as advanced as they were. Maybe that’s what you’re saying, given that this was where they were at in the late 60s, fifty years to final product is a bit much. But yeah, I’ll allow it, as bio-nano-tech stuff that they just couldn’t crack until other discoveries fell into place.

To be continued.

No, I did mean the fact that it took them several decades to develop the Super Sentinels without Trask, whereas with Trask it would’ve apparently taken only a few years after sampling Mystique’s blood. But whatever. Let’s just say Trask’s was key to it all. He did after all develop those uncannily advanced Mark 1s. Big brain and such.

Right, it got confusing because it looked like it was stopping the killing of Trask that they were focussed on, rather than the Mystique-being-captured-and-sampled element of it. Without Trask, add fifty years. Without Mystique, maybe that shit wouldn’t happen at all.

For a moment, it looked like the worst would happen (Trask surviving, Mystique being sampled, Sentinels being finished instantly), but then they pulled a Give Peace A Chance X-Men Special out of the bag and made it so Trask was ruined and peace somehow prevailed. Which means we may actually get a new plot for the next X-Men film.

Of course, who’s to say that a surviving Trask could get the Sentinels finished inside fifty years? It might still have taken that long, we never saw that timeline so it’s all still conjecture. Especially since he only had a blood sample to play with (in the ’70s!), not the whole mutant.

Sad, though. I thought Trask’s “hatred” of mutants was far more complex and compelling than the mob’s general “boo”ness, the Senator’s “let’s tag ’em like Jews” and Stryker’s weird “my son is one, I’ll blame them and torture my son myself” plan.

At first, their focus was on stopping Trask’s assassination, but then Magneto took it a step further and made it about Mystique (at least for a while). And clearly that shit never happened, since Wolverine woke up in that pretty, sunny future.

Yeah, that was maybe a bit lame and certainly pretty cliché, and didn’t we already kinda see that peace gambit in X2? Oh, and in First Class? Actually, X1 as well?

Which means we may actually get a new plot for the next X-Men film.

You mean none of the previous stories (with the exception of First Class) no longer apply? For all we know, X1, X2, and at least parts of X3 and the Wolverine stories will nonetheless happen pretty much the way we saw them in the movies. Trask never figured into any of those stories (with the exception of a quick nod in X2). Perhaps Jean and Scott still die in X3, but return in an X4 we will never see (and are there to greet Wolverine at the end of this one). That’s sort of my problem with this reset: It potentially changed everything or maybe it changed only very little. I’d like to know!

Mystique seemed to have some plans for Wolverine at the end of the movie, so that at least suggests that Wolverine’s history is going to change somewhat from what we saw in Wolverine 1 and X1. (I still can’t figure out how to reconcile the young Stryker in this movie with the older Stryker and his mutant team in Wolverine 1.)

Sad, though. I thought Trask’s “hatred” of mutants was far more complex and compelling than the mob’s general “boo”ness, the Senator’s “let’s tag ‘em like Jews” and Stryker’s weird “my son is one, I’ll blame them and torture my son myself” plan.

I thought Trask’s motives could’ve done with a bit more fleshing out (even though Dinklage’s delivery was good). He “hated” mutants because they were a superior species that would inevitably overthrow regular humans. Really? Why? Isn’t that a bit thin, or a bit abstract? I thought that there could’ve been a nice subtext around Trask being a little person, but perhaps that wouldn’t’ve been very PC.

For the record, I liked the more personal hatred Stryker had for mutants. Better character drama. And Brian Cox delivered that shit really well in X2. (Yes, he was a really bad dad.)

I guess we’re not going to know how much of the post-First-Class plots happened until (and if) we get a run-down of comparative history from Professors Xavier and Logan. But my guess at this point is, we’re not going to get one. Leaving us free to hypothesise, conjecturate and spitball about it.

Which is fine, in theory.

And yeah, by “new plot” I was referring to the “humans hate and fear mutants, until the final scene where a group of mutants (or in the case of the last couple of movies, just Magneto) do something Godlike and say “how about, as a novelty, we try to be friends instead of us just wiping out humanity like a kid shaking an Etch-a-Sketch?” and humans looking thoughtful. That’s essentially been the plot of every X-Men film so far.

And while I’m wondering about things, since they learned how to use Cerebro to Kill All Humans(TM) in (I think) X2, how is anything any human does a threat anymore? I guess they need Stryker Jr.’s influence on Xavier to pull that off, and the new timeline might bump that out of the realms of the historically/narratively possible.

And yeah, I put “hate” in the “quoties” for Trask because he said it himself, he doesn’t hate mutants. It’s just a fact that they’re superior and will inevitably wipe out humanity. But this was actually handled well in-story: his error was in thinking there’s a difference between homo sapiens sapiens and homo sapiens mutantis. Ultimately, according to the Sentinels, there wasn’t. All humans carried some form of mutation, so in the end it was just a matter of degree. Forget Class Five mutants vs. Class Ones, we all have mutations and somewhere down the line our descendents will express those genes the Sentinels were targetting. Trask was right, but went about solving it the wrong way. Like I think I said in the original post, his solution should have been to say “right, baseline non-mutants are inferior and we will never win, but we’re all still human so let’s bend over for our new mutant overlords and not give them any reason to not be benevolent overlords, and in a few generations mutation will settle down into a new phase of primate evolution and baseline humanity will be bred out of the gene pool and we’ll look back at this period of adjustment and laugh.”

You’re right, that wouldn’t have been very PC. Worse than my philosophising about Trask designing Sentinels to target mutation without apparently thinking about how dwarfism is a mutation, let’s say (different ideas of what “mutation” is, perhaps), but better than making a quip about Antman.

Aaaaand *looks at watch* we’re done.

(see, now I regret making that one-liner, because it’s just way too easy to see it as a cheap shot, but I was actually trying to make a deeper connecting point about mutations vs. mutants in the Marvel universe, and also fling in an example of extreme non-PCism. And only the latter really came through.)

That would be my guess as well. However, if we do get something involving Wolverine, they better make sure it’s our Wolverine of the future, the one who remembers the original timeline, not the younger contemporary of the First Class people, because that Wolverine will cease to exist once our Wolverine pops back, so in a sense his life and stories are meaningless.

Damn. The more I think about that scenario, the creepier it actually feels.

Hmm. Maybe Xavier realized what was going to happen and made periodic telepathic backups of Wolverine, so that when the original one from the dystopian timeline showed up he could merge their memories / identities!

That’s kind of what I was thinking. Thank you for verbalizing it!

Nah, you’re fine. Both came through. Valid point. In the final analysis, every single feature in an organism comes from a mutation, right? Meaning every single organism is effectively a “mutant”. (First Class actually acknowledges this, which I thought was nice.)

Also, points for integrity, since you could just delete stuff on this blog. But it’s not how you roll.

Actually, if they’re gutsy (and if they have planned it out a bit), they’ll use the post-Future-Past Wolverine in the next film, showing his confusion at the end of that showdown (as Dystopian Wolverine vanishes) and his gradual recovery as Xavier starts working his mojo (and Mystique does whatever she does). Building up to a far more poignant wipe than the one that happened in W1.

We’ll get to see Wolverine turn into Professor Logan, knowing all along that the day is coming when Dystopian Wolverine is going to arrive and erase his entire life (however much of the two lives may overlap with the new timeline being written as we speak). Something Xavier seemed to be ready for but still saddened by, and will hopefully be preparing Professor Logan for too.

Damn. The more I think about that scenario, the creepier it actually feels.

It has potential to be absolutely heartbreaking. I hope they don’t fuck it up. They could well do a backup/merge, but they’d have to do it right.

Well, it was partly “can’t be unsaid, take responsibility and accountability for it”. But it was also partly “my reply to dreameling already went to his e-mail feed (as far as I’m aware of the process) so he’ll see what I wrote and then see that I deleted it”.

Which a true obsessive may notice I do from time to time anyway, but only to fix typoes and capitals and stuff. WordPress for Windows Phone (WP²) is pretty good in most ways, but its comments admin functionality is crap. Can’t even read comments that are too long, and the editing window for writing replies is shoddy.

Anyway, long story short, sometimes my final comment here on the blog won’t mesh with what you got in your e-mail notification. If my experiences are anything to go by.

You mean that Wolverine’s memory would not be wiped in 1981, we would never see a memory-challenged Wolverine in X1 and X2 (assuming those stories happened at all), and Wolverine’s wipe would only come in 2023?

I don’t know, man. Starting from 1973 when Mystique-as-Stryker recovers Wolverine, that’s 50 years of story. The movie would really have to fast-hop through story time to a) get from 1973 to 2023 in two-plus hours and b) fill in the necessary blanks and hit the right plot points along the way. Unless the movie completely rewrote the X-Men storylines, it would also have to somehow address W1, X1, X2, X3, and W2 as it progressed through the years toward the 2023 wipe. Sounds like an awful lot for a single movie / story to accomplish. Maybe a series of Wolverine-centric movies? Nah, can’t really see that, since the predestined wipe would be constantly there in the background, a tension-sucking spoilery burden to audience involvement. (Yes, it could make for tragic drama, but it would also check your involvement in the main character, I think, since you know or at least believe he will be cruelly replaced.)

Or maybe I totally misunderstood what you meant?

But I agree: Wolverine deserves a more meaningful memory wipe than a silly fucking bullet to the head. (X2 always gave me the impression that it was the adamantium operation that was so traumatic that it wiped Wolverine’s memory. W1 totally fucked that up.)

Despite what I said above, agreed. But I’m thinking it would have to be a more focused story that takes place toward the end of that 50-year span of doomed life.

However, rather than having my heart broken over Wolverine, I think I’d rather take the happy ending where the two are somehow merged after the initial wipe.

That is exactly how it goes. So, if you sometimes wonder why I’m not quite replying to what you wrote, it’s because I’m replying to what I saw in the email, not having double-checked what’s in the blog. Life’s so complicated, man.

I don’t know. I mean, he would have been wiped at the end of Future Past, after his drowning incident (which was a nice mirror of his adamantium scene anyway). Hence my “showing his confusion at the end of that showdown (as Dystopian Wolverine vanishes)”. But other than that, yes. He recovers from Dystopian Wolverine’s presence and then follows a whole new timeline. Sure, maybe Mystique/Stryker still recruit him and send him on missions. Maybe Sabretooth gets his hooks back into him. He was conveniently forgotten in this story.

Maybe Wolverine still meets his girlfriend (the one who gives him the name “Wolverine”, so that’s needed somehow unless Dystopian Wolverine let it slip so now all the X-Men call him that anyway), then loses her in the Stryker/Sabretooth cull, and they then give him the adamantium (shit, he’d better get adamantium somehow), leading to his new bullet-wipe and the slightly revised X1, X2 and X3, with Trask gone, Magneto out of the picture, and all the main players (except Wolverine, now) aware of what the future might hold (as if mutants were somehow not only super-powered, but have the ability to change their shit because they know the future is going to be fucked, something humans just can’t do but that’s another blog post altogether). Wolverine wouldn’t know what was going on but the others (not even thinking about Magneto’s display of power and the fact that he was busted out of prison ahead of schedule) would, so that would change things. Enough so that Wolverine’s new adjustment happens more easily (this would almost by necessity mean that he didn’t get the bullet-wipe, but they can work around it if they need to), allowing him to become Professor Logan. Who is then replaced by Dystopian Logan.

Phew.

Well, if the next films follow on from that point, they only need to tell the stories in those films, and cut to Wolverine occasionally and show that he’s following a new path. This is all I’m saying.

We don’t need another “every war the US ever went balls-deep in” montage.

If the next X-Men film wasn’t going to do this anyway, I see no reason why my vision for the Why-The-Fuck-Am-I-Drowning-In-A-River Logan –> Professor Logan plotline to require it.

b) fill in the necessary blanks and hit the right plot points along the way.

I doubt this is going to happen, like I said. Probably not even in a Xavier-Logan history recap scene. We obsessives are going to have to adjust to that, the way Logan has to adjust to living the next 50 years of his life doomed to be replaced by Dystopian Wolverine.

And I agree, couldn’t make a whole new set of films purely about this.

Shit, it’s more likely that they’ll just gloss over this and pretend it didn’t work that way. Sad but true, right? Like I say, this would be the gutsy thing for them to do and therefore it seems unlikely. On the other hand … Guardians of the Galaxy.

Or maybe I totally misunderstood what you meant?

I think you got it. But maybe over-thought the level of “showing-us” that I was considering the next films might do.

I’m guessing this, or some variant, is going to be the way they go with it. They don’t need to even show it if they’re going to focus on the ’70s-’80s plot arc, they can just show Logan confused, and Xavier saying “I’ll mind-meld with you and baloneyum baloneyum, when you come back as Dystopian Wolverine later on, I’ll fix you.”

We are literally the most unfortunate and hard-suffering generation.

Phew.

Indeed. But I think I mosty followed that. Yes, I could see a storyline like that for Wolverine.

They better fucking address the identity replacement somehow. Especially if they show more of the young Logan. But we already covered this. Now, there’s no word yet whether Wolverine will appear in X-Men: Apocalypse, but apparently there’s going to be a Wolverine 3:

I guess we’ll see.

Ohh boy. Yeah, let’s see. Plenty of other stuff to distract us before then. I’m just not getting my hopes up too much about it.

PS. The post-credits scene was pretty cool. I’m assuming it was a direct setup for X-Men: Apocalypse.

What was …? Oh right, pyramid guy. Yeah, don’t know anything about that but apparently that’s the gist of it. Mrs. Hatboy and I were mostly thrown by the idea that apparently mutants – and seemingly Phoenix-level mutants – were around not since the proverbial “sudden leap forward” in the late 1990s, or in the late 19th Century when Logan was born, but pretty much for the entirety of human history and still hasn’t come to a head. That’s not really a mutation, that’s just a rare feature of the human race. That shit needs ‘splainin’.

Xavier’s leap monologue from the opening of X-Men never really quite gelled for me. “But every few hundred millennia, evolution leaps forward.” Then again, maybe the mutant leap happened once a couple of hundred thousand years ago and all mutants come from that?

Quite possible. Mutation as we know it doesn’t spontaneously happen in a person, after all. It would happen in the genes and then express n generations down the line. Randomly. Which fits your idea. And maybe Pyramid Guy was an outlier, then there was nothing much until Wolverine, then Kevin Bacon, then Magneto, then…

As I was cleaning baby poop from the bathroom sink, I suddenly remembered that Jean Grey gave that evolution speech in the beginning of X-Men. If I recall, the speech kinda suggested that mutants were a modern development. Which would not fit the idea of mutant evolution kick-starting 200 000 years ago.

Come to think of it, Xavier’s “every few hundred millennia, evolution leaps forward” is probably referring to anatomically modern homo sapiens appearing around 200 000 years ago [1], and homo superheroensis developing “now”. The movies have always given the impression that this “now” is pretty now now, say 1900 onwards (Wolverine and Sabertooth being born in the late 1800s is close enough). I think young Xavier suggests the same timeline in First Class, that the next stage in human evolution is happening pretty much right now [2]?

Anyways, I’m fine with the “now” covering not just the last 100 or so years, but the last 5000 years or more (going back to ancient Egypt and Apocalypse). Next to 200 000 years, what’s a few thousand years?

[1] Which was obviously no leap, but just gradual evolution, a branching continuum, and the 200 000 years is obviously just an arbitrary point, since one specifies does not suddenly and definitively end and another begin. But evolution in the X-Men-verse is pretty fantastic anyways, so I don’t really care.

[2] Hah. It seems X-Men has “every few hundred millennia”, while X2 and First Class have “every few millennia” (according to IMDb). Like, wat? Did they forget what they had in X-Men?

Right, she made the speech to the senate or whatever, and then mutants were officially a thing, rather than just being a quasi-military secret as they have been since Logan’s day, and the obligatory Black Ops in Southeast Asia and Nazi experiments in the deathcamps.

Well, maybe the next movies will explain why there were earlier mutants, and maybe they won’t. I’m satisfied with “statistical/genetic outlier” as an explanation, and will be interested to see how they bring Pyramid Guy’s story into any sort of modern-day relevance. What, has he somehow survived all this time? Or are they going to conveniently forget (perhaps due to rewritten timelines) that only Wolverine can go back in time, and only Quantum Leap-style and fifty years was about the limit?

X-Men: Apocalypse will apparently follow the First Class crew and take place in the 1980s. So no Kitty Pride and no Wolverine who remembers the time travel stuff. Of course, that still leaves Xavier who saw the whole time travel setup up-close.

And Magneto, Mystique, Beast and Quicksilver, right? I could watch a whole film of him doing Hammy the Squirrel pranks.

Of course we’ll have to wait and see, but chances are good that Xavier will have been preparing Professor Logan to be supplanted by Dystopian Logan all this time. Backups or not, Cerebro may help. Maybe this was why/how Logan became a history professor in the first place. It was history, right?

Well, interesting. Hope they hurry it up.

You really think the writers have actually planned this out? 🙂

But I like your prep theory. (And, yeah, it was history.) However, how would Xavier know that Dystopian Logan will eventually pop up? Dystopian Xavier knew that only Logan would remember the dystopian timeline, because he was working with Kitty and the rest on the time travel solution and they already had experience of the memory phenomenon. But how would First Class / Reset Xavier know? I guess it could be that Logan told him off-screen…

Just stood to reason to me, since Rewrite Xavier said “you’re back” the way he did.

I was thinking that the young Xavier was the only one to see Kitty doing her time travel magic (when he glimpsed into the future through Wolverine). Not sure if Magneto, Mystique, Beast, or Quicksilver ever got anything beyond “it’s mind time travel”. They may have had zero idea how it was actually done. Unless they talked about it off-screen (which you’d think they did). Even so, “it’s mind time travel” might be enough for someone like Magneto or Beast to eventually figure it out.

Yeah, fine, it’s problematic.

Oh, I thought you were just talking about the characters who knew Wolverine had time-travelled. Not the specifics of how to do it.

Another thing I was wondering was, at the failed assassination, when Wolverine started waking up and got all freaked out, was it just waking up with no idea what was going on? Because it seemed more like he had absolutely no idea that there were other mutants in the world. Which, okay, aside from his brother he may not have at that point, since Stryker hadn’t recruited him yet.

Interesting. I didn’t read it like that, though. To me it seemed like Logan was just confused because he woke up in a strange place in the middle of a fight instead of next to that girl in the waterbed (i.e., your scenario #1). It doesn’t really track that he would freak out over other mutants, even if he had never seen one, saving his brother, which seems unlikely in any case. Then again, Mystique looks pretty freaky in a striking sort of way. But, yeah, can’t imagine why they would’ve played Logan’s confusion like that. I’ll keep an eye out when I get the BD.

Btw., waterbeds, lol. (‘Twas a nice little gag.)

Seemed like there was more going on when I saw it, but then it never went anywhere (I thought they were going to do an interlude with a full wake-up and history-rewrite, then go on with Act Two wherein Wolverine goes back again after getting rewrite-Kitty to send him, and fixes it), and now when I wrote the scene out, the “#1 scenario” answer seemed more obvious.

PS. According to Wikipedia, X-Men Origins: Wolverine takes place in 1845 (young Wolvie), 1975 (Stryker recruits Wolverine & Sabertooth), and 1981 (main action). Days of Future Past takes place in 1973, so it maybe makes sense that Wolverine has never had any non-family mutant dealings up to that point. And, man, Stryker really ages between 1973 and 1975.

Right, Stryker is the weak link, but then he sort of was between X2 and W1 as well. All that walking didn’t turn him into Brian Cox.

I found the way he said it open to interpretation. I mostly read it as Xavier figuring it out on the spot, “oh, that’s right, there was that thing with Logan”. But it could’ve been a more knowing “you’re back”, sure. I certainly hope it was.

That could’ve been interesting, but I think it would’ve required a longer movie or a two-parter. Had Wolverine fully woken up during the assassination fight with Mystique, the timeline would’ve reset from that point onwards and he would’ve probably found himself in a significantly different future present than the one he started out from (i.e., not a last stand on a mountain top with Kitty right there working her magic). The movie would’ve then had to re-introduce the future setting, even if only briefly.

But I still think that would’ve been an interesting twist.

Oh, definitely. No way would the audience stand for Wolverine waking up to find the timeline re-written and himself in some horrible mega-dystopia, and going “shit, have to go back again but first, have to convince Xavier and Kitty to do it … now where the fuck are they?” and then the film ending.

I mean, I would have stood for it. Stood and applauded. But I can’t see many others doing so.