This week in my personalities

This post is about me. And me, and me, and me.

Well, sort of.

Let’s look at what’s been going on. Well, on the home front, Andy continued to excel (DO YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE) at his undisclosed technical writing job and in managing a messy home, a pregnant wife and an absolutely fucking mad three-year-old daughter. Meanwhile Hatboy … well, Hatboy you know and have been following along with. Hatboy waffled about a whole mess of crap.

On the wackier side of things, back on the K–Pg boundary, Glenn finally made landfall and reviewed his mission statements:

Remaining in the Twitterverse, Edpool had a lazy week but was also able to get a bit of cleaning up done around the place (amazing what can still scrape itself off your body even when you’re wearing spandex):

And then of course we cross over to Chucky Hindle, for a healthy serving of utter, utter random (topped with a sprinkling of vagina jokes):

facebook post

Sometimes I wonder if I should get a life. Then I laugh and make up another one.

About Hatboy

I’m not often driven to introspection or reflection, but the question does come up sometimes. The big question. So big, there’s just no containing it within the puny boundaries of a single set of punctuationary bookends. Who are these mysterious and unsung heroes of obscurity and shadow? What is their origin story? Do they have a prequel trilogy? What are their secret identities? What are their public identities, for that matter? What are their powers? Their abilities? Their haunted pasts and troubled futures? Their modus operandi? Where do they live anyway, and when? What do they do for a living? Do they really have these fantastical adventures, or is it a dazzlingly intellectual and overwrought metaphor? Or is it perhaps a smug and post-modern sort of metaphor? Is it a plain stupid metaphor, hedged around with thick wads of plausible deniability, a soap bubble of illusory plot dependent upon readers who don’t dare question it for fear of looking foolish? A flight of fancy, having dozed off in front of the television during an episode of something suitably spaceship-oriented? Do they have a quest, a handler, a mission statement, a department-level development objective in five stages? I am Hatboy. https://hatboy.blog/2013/12/17/metalude-who-are-creepy-and-hatboy/
This entry was posted in Hatboy's Nuggets of Crispy-Fried Wisdom and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to This week in my personalities

You, sir, are a Beacon of Life.

topped with a sprinkling of vagina jokes

Made me laugh there at the end. I can’t quite make out your profile picture in the FB screenshot, but it sort of looks like you have a wide, smug smile gracing your profusely hairy face, which just adds so much win to that final line.

PS. Ever considered adding permanent links to your Twitter and Facebook accounts here? Sure, I could bookmark Glenn, for example, but I’m a lazy fuck.

PPS. In purely grammatical terms, why would anyone add two spaces after a period? WHY?!?

Oh yeah, I am truly the Desolation of Smug.

This worked last time so let’s see if I can post my profile picture here. It’s basically an updated version of the old Dark Helmet photoshop I used for my profile pic pretty much everywhere, but (slightly) higher-definition:

Chuck Helmet

I don’t even have the slightest idea how I would do that.

It’s a US English thing. I want to be charitable and say they do it in order to leave a thoughtful pause after a sentence, so everyone can think about what was just said before moving, with maturity and reflection, on to the next thing. So I will say that.

• JonathanBloom says:

[quote]the Desolation of Smug.[/quote]

I knew it would catch on!

Absolutely! Full credit where credit’s due, and I feel I’ve earned the right to its use after the nightmare of Smaugnunciation we had to endure on this blog.

• JonathanBloom says:

I didn’t want to say anything, but yeah. We’re all, like, newts or something.
        Original text:

Smaugnunciation itself is enough to earn the rights to all kinds of things. Now people are staring at me at the office for laughing so loud.

Oh yeah, there’s still win in there (even if the distorted small version in the screenshot has much more smugness in it than the full version). And I should’ve remembered that your avatar was Chucky Helmet.

I don’t even have the slightest idea how I would do that.

Maybe just add links to your About page? I mean, simply edit the About page, and manually add URLs for the accounts?

Or create a new custom menu in Appearance > Menus, add the account links to the menu, and then add the menu to the sidebar as a Custom Menu widget?

Had to test myself that it really works. I created a new menu for my totally-not-a-blog that only includes a Link to your blog, and then added the menu to the sidebar using the Custom Menu widget and named it “My Links”:

I’m sure there are even fancier ways of linking a WordPress blog to various social media accounts, though.

I didn’t even know there was a controversy:

In any case, it’s an obsolete convention and it should just die out. Screw charity.

*moderate-to-severe headsplosion*

Yeah, I’ll work on that.

(no, seriously, I will … but later)

Shit, I tried. But looks like the widget feature is completely busted. Added a couple of really uninspired links to my About page, will have to think about the Appearance > Menus thing.

Ooh, looks like I managed to add them to the top menu anyway.

Fancy! Plus graphic!

*applause*

It was kind of about time.

Oh, and of course the new banner graphic has room not only to expand the family as more breeding occurs and more Pixar movies are made, but also for some sort of text (to be decided).

Did you still want the menu links in the sidebar instead? Because my tech support rates are quite competitive! (The links seem appropriately prominent in the top menu, though.)

Yeah, I couldn’t seem to get anything to work in the other areas. Widgets didn’t work (and were way the Hell down below my archive anyway) and none of the left-menu stuff seemed to work. Not even sure where to start. Would like to put some stuff there though, sure. Would be glad for a consult.

Would be glad for a consult.

I just realized that the amount of configuring and customizing I’ve actually done for my blog probably amounts to about two hours. And here I am pimping my expert services. Made myself laugh.

Still happy to help, though.

That two hours is more than I can afford.

That two hours is more than I can afford.

Probably because you have a life. (I dread to think how little time I will have for stuff after The Arrival.)

Or did you mean you cannot afford two hours of my consultation time? Because if you did, seriously, dude, I was just joking about the rates.

I did mean the consultation time, but not seriously. So I guess we cross-bobulated each other there.

You and your blog really have a gift for confusing the shit out me. When you’re not busy circumventing my readerly expectations or slapping me with my own arguments, that is.

3. JonathanBloom says:

To help end the world?
    Original text:

Oh, balls, how the hell does this not have normal editing options to it?!

4. Aaron says:

Yeesh, Kelly just set up that tee ball stand for you didn’t she? Wowza. Well played, truly well played. Just the right amount of subtlety in the reprisal comeback of yours at the end there. LOL