Independence Day

So that’s what it is here today, 6.12. Happy Independence Day, Finland.

I’m not sure when I got home this morning, and only have the vaguest idea how. Lord only knows how I managed to direct the taxi driver to our house, because I have a distinct memory of not being able to enter my PIN number while paying for the taxi, and digging out an emergency fifty to pay in cash. And then leaving money strewn all over the house.

I also have a vague recollection of The Pas being in the taxi with me, and having some sort of problem but I don’t know what it was. Still, the taxi fare only seemed to be €30 or so, so I don’t know what happened. No, literally, I don’t know what happened.

the_pas

Maybe I don’t need to guess.

Last night was our company Christmas Party, and it was a fun one. Nothing much to add there, I ended up with a top hat and a hangover, the former of which I did not deserve and the latter of which I deserved very richly indeed.

hatboy_1

I did look classy as fuck, though.

Anyway, there was much joy and hilarity and I don’t think I upset anyone. With The Pas hitting people and throwing things as usual, I think I ended up as the lesser of two evils.

dese_guys

By request, I shall attach here a few pictures of my home office.

Office_Homeoffice

I don’t have two computers on the one desk anymore, they were amalgamated into a single monster a few months ago. I do, however, have a second desk and computer setup, my own personal home computer, on the other side of the room (not pictured). And, of course, just outside the door is Bar Äijä’s.

Office_Boyz

A little detail from my monitor, not pictured in the wide-shot.

Office_Calendar

And the obligatory tasteless calendar, courtesy of Vince Kramer.

That’s about it. Going to go back to sitting quietly now.

About Hatboy

I’m not often driven to introspection or reflection, but the question does come up sometimes. The big question. So big, there’s just no containing it within the puny boundaries of a single set of punctuationary bookends. Who are these mysterious and unsung heroes of obscurity and shadow? What is their origin story? Do they have a prequel trilogy? What are their secret identities? What are their public identities, for that matter? What are their powers? Their abilities? Their haunted pasts and troubled futures? Their modus operandi? Where do they live anyway, and when? What do they do for a living? Do they really have these fantastical adventures, or is it a dazzlingly intellectual and overwrought metaphor? Or is it perhaps a smug and post-modern sort of metaphor? Is it a plain stupid metaphor, hedged around with thick wads of plausible deniability, a soap bubble of illusory plot dependent upon readers who don’t dare question it for fear of looking foolish? A flight of fancy, having dozed off in front of the television during an episode of something suitably spaceship-oriented? Do they have a quest, a handler, a mission statement, a department-level development objective in five stages? I am Hatboy. https://hatboy.blog/2013/12/17/metalude-who-are-creepy-and-hatboy/
This entry was posted in The Chucky Report and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Independence Day

Hahaha, love the Futurama poster!

I recognize Deadpool, of course, but who’s the other dude? And why is he fighting the gun-wielding Deadpool with a sword?

Happy ID!

Hahaha, love the Futurama poster!

Exactly what we were talking about last night, right? You have to make a place your own if you’re going to be productive in it, which is what certain sterile office spaces have going on. This may seem demotivational, but it’s quite the opposite. I love my office.

I recognize Deadpool, of course, but who’s the other dude?

I think it’s Doctor Doom.

If I actually had a separate non-living space for a home office, I might opt for working remotely as the default. As things stand, in our three-room apartment, I only have one small room for my desk and personal computer and some books (call it a man cave, if you like). When I work from home, that’s where I sit. If I work from home a lot, that space starts feeling like work a lot. (When I say “work”, I mean work work, not my own stuff, which is of course totally different.) And I just don’t want the (already cramped) space where I game and write and code and reply to blog posts and watch po– movie trailers and whathaveyou to feel like work.

Plus, when I work from home, travelling to work is basically a 10-meter trip (by way of the bathroom). I need more distance, more separation. One of those cognitive issues again. What I need is a big house with a separate wing for office work!

So, it’s mostly the office office for me. (On the bright side, you get some face-to-face people interaction.)

Anyways, you’re very lucky with your setup. And you have a frigging bar next door!

PS. Doctor Doom? With a sword? The hell? (I think we need to consult Mr. Fahrenheit on this. Assuming Mr. Fahrenheit is who I think he is. You and your aliases.)

If I work from home a lot, that space starts feeling like work a lot.

I can totally relate, now I have both my computers in this one office and it’s easy enough to keep them separate – in fact now I don’t need to facebook or blog or photoshop or surf on my work computer at all, which is a bonus – but you need a way to separate it out. You need a separate room at the very least, where you’re not getting people coming and going and knocking on the door and all those distractions.

My bad, it’s Taskmaster: http://gofigureactionfigures.com/media/taskmasteranddeadpool-shs.jpg

But Mister Fahrenheit is probably who you think he is.

Mr. Fahrenheit would’ve totally taken you to task for that mistake! (See what I did there? I made a joke! Based on word play! I… Meh.)

And of course Tasky is hella appropriate for the top of my workstation monitor.

I’m going to give the pun a pass, because it’s the least awful I have seen all weekend.

2. I knew you were grumpy today, I just KNEW it! Now I know why! Man I wish we had Christmas parties here though the wife does not. Now, we have a luncheon. And you have to go back to work after.

Umm, should I know who “The Pas” is? I feel stupid(1), which is alarming.

(1)Stupidly? Or are both options for the expression stupid and to be eliminated?

I knew you were grumpy today, I just KNEW it!

Grumpy? Seriously? No. You asked questions, I answered them. One of them was about something we’ve discussed an absolutely ridiculous amount, so I said I wasn’t going to do so again. In, I think, a pretty nice and light-hearted way. No grumpy.

And I’m feeling pretty good, now I’ve had a shower and sorted myself out. Luckily I got some good sleeping done today, and emptied my stomach before going to bed rather than deal with all that poison directly.

Umm, should I know who “The Pas” is?

No reason why you would, no. You can probably find him mentioned elsewhere on the blog, though. He’s a colourful character. I’ll attach pics.

Stupidly?

No, I think “I feel stupidly” is wrong. It’s not like feeling poorly.

• It was the email that was short and grumpy, but maybe I’m just reading that into it because you didn’t say much. I’m glad to know it was just a miscommunicated emotion due to a flawed medium for such things. Glad you’re feeling better…now! ;D

3. Pussy?
    Original text:

Ahh, ok yes I know a fellow on this side of the pond who has a similar facial appearance to The Pas, if he’s that dude there with the buzzed haircut. Yeah he looks like he likes to hit people, too. LOL

Speaking of Finnish independence day, Craig Ferguson devoted most of his monologue to us:

(That’s right, I’m using your blog to pimp my favorite US late-night talk show. Conan’s still ok with his Clueless Gamer, though. I feel I needed to say that, since apparently Conan is a Golden God in Finland.)